1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Genetic Difference- Mille Fluer & Speckled Sussex? WHAT's missing?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by blaundee, Nov 22, 2010.

1. blaundee

blaundee Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2009
    What's the genetic difference between "Mille Fluer" and Speckled Sussex (mottled red columbian) ?

I know they are NOT the same thing, I want to know what the SS is missing that the MF has....

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  2. RAREROO

RAREROO Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Theres not much difference, SS are Mille Fleur, Mille Fleur as in dUccles is Mottleing on a Buff Columbian bird and SS are mottling on a Red Columbian bird. Its the same, the SS just have the additional mohagany genes.

3. blaundee

blaundee Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2009
    Quote:Thanks! [​IMG]

4. dldolan

dldolan WineNChooks

Aug 11, 2010
    Sonoma County, CA
    Quote:So, if you cross back a SS to a buff columbian roo, then the F1 back to a SS, will you eventually get a Mille Fleur color patten in the Sussex? What is recessive here??

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    The PATTERN i the same; mottled columbian. What is lacking in hte mille fleur is the mahogany gene that enhances the colour of the red. The speckled sussex may also be missing gold dilution genes that are present in the speckled sussex.

6. dldolan

dldolan WineNChooks

Aug 11, 2010
    Sonoma County, CA
    Quote:So, can one get a mille fleur mottling on a blue or black bird? Or only on mahogany and buff/golden bird?

7. HaikuHeritageFarm

HaikuHeritageFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Anchorage, AK
    Quote:So, can one get a mille fleur mottling on a blue or black bird? Or only on mahogany and buff/golden bird?

In blue or black, the black band between the base color and white obviously wouldn't show up, so you only have white mottled birds. You can have the tri-color pattern in lavender, it's called porcelain like in the porcelain d'uccles.

8. dldolan

dldolan WineNChooks

Aug 11, 2010
    Sonoma County, CA
    So, this is fascinating stuff! I am crossing my fingers I get one Lav roo from the LAv Ameraucana order I made, coming to me next month. If I cross the roo with the SS hen, I could or will get the porcelain coloration? Or probably I should be asking about the %'s, right??? Thank you!

9. HaikuHeritageFarm

HaikuHeritageFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Anchorage, AK
    Quote:Nope! Trust me, I've looked into this! (Using Orloffs instead of SS, though.)

The Mahogany factor that gives these birds the red base messes it all up. Mille Fleur is buff-based, and the porcelain relies on that. [​IMG]

I THINK there may be some true buff-based Mille Fleur LF Cochins, but most LF speckled/spangled birds over here are mahogany based.

You would first have to spend a couple of years breeding a true mille fleur using a buff bird with the SS. It's a long process! I have the recipe written down in my notebooks for later. [​IMG]

10. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Sussex look to be wheaten but the down color is not wheaten. The down color looks like a false wild type. This difference in down color may be caused by a modifier or a different E locus allele. there is a difference- but being able to say exactly what the difference is hypothetical.

based upon the birds color- both the red and speckled sussex carry mahogany and autosomal red. i have not carried out any experimental crosses with the sussex. my opinion is based upon my work with rhode island red.

tim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by