Genetic disorder? I can't find anything!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Moochie, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Moochie

Moochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    What does a full grown one look like? Once I see a photo and compare it to my buff orp, I can confirm that my chicken is indeed handicapped. Here she is. Please tell me the differences in her look, as well noting her pinkish red eyes. She is 8 months old and not laying. She isn't very agile.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    We trim her beak and toenails once a month, sometimes we don't. Her feet are a bit odd. She is sweet and quiet. She very much reminds me of this autistic girl at my high school named Alyssa (she's blonde like she's buff!!), she can talk but she is mostly by herself and making random noises. Alyssa is very sweet just like this chicken. Perhaps Sugar has a genetic disorder? I'm curious as to what she has and I want to research it to understand it better.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
  2. Sorin

Sorin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Glenfield, ny
    She's a pretty little thing! Sorry I can't help you though [​IMG]

3. Moochie

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    Quote:Ah yes. Thank you. I think it's something in her bone structure.. She doesn't run and loses her balance VERY easy, if she has something the young pullets want, they will pull at the feathers to the side of her head to make her stumble which makes her let go of the object. Cruel the little ones are..

4. HenThymes

HenThymes pippin ain't easy

Feb 27, 2010
    Foothills of NC
    Not sure what you are looking for but here is a picture of my buff bantam orps. The hen has been shown and does well. [​IMG] Sorry to hear you think there may be something wrong with your hen, never a fun thing when it comes to a loved one. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Picture of her at a show
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
  5. Moochie

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    She looks alot different. I just want to know what deformity or mental problem she has.

6. Sorin

Sorin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Glenfield, ny
    Quote:Ah yes. Thank you. I think it's something in her bone structure.. She doesn't run and loses her balance VERY easy, if she has something the young pullets want, they will pull at the feathers to the side of her head to make her stumble which makes her let go of the object. Cruel the little ones are..

That's so sad! [​IMG]

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    What do you feed her? Do you check and treat for mites/lice/worms? Comb is too pale, and I think the eye paleness may be related, but am not certain.

8. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Chickens can have any number of disorders (just like humans) and without blood tests, MRI's etc. it would be very difficult to diagnose her problem. You are lucky the other chickens are not attacking her and causing serious damage. Chickens can be ruthless- so watch for any damage to her plumage. Once they get a bare spot, they will begin pecking and producing a wound on the bird. Once they see blood, it will not take long for them to produce life threatening damage. This can occur when the birds are in close confines. If your birds are free to run around in a large area, this will help decrease the possibility.

Tim

9. Moochie

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    Quote:Her comb actually got alot more color and bigger since she's been with us. There was nothing there last month. She does not have mites or lice, I don't know how to check for worms though. No chicken vets around, even Dr. Beverly, who is a farm vet, doesn't do chickens or other poultry. Her poop is pretty normal though. We feed her lay mash, scratch, she occasionally pecks at the chick starter mash. Sugar also enjoys mealworms both alive and dried, she isn't big on yogurt but does eat it, she gets alot of greens, and doesn't eat leftovers as our laying hens would.

10. Moochie

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    Quote:Yes chickens are ruthless! One of the reasons we seperated the broody and her eggs from the rest of the flock. We had to remove much of her butt fluff because of dingleberries (poop matted in the feathers). It was really bad and the bath didn't help much of getting it out. But the youngins don't bother her much, she's the one pecking them most of the time. She doesn't bother the buff orpington youngin though. They all have alot of space, once the eggs hatch we'll move the broody and her chicks over to where they are.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by