genetic hackle chicken eggs???

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by dapper86, Sep 12, 2011.

1. dapper86

dapper86 New Egg

Aug 30, 2011
    Hi I'm Dapper86 aka alig ., and I live in N.Scotland. I want combine my hobbies of fly fishing and fly tying with rearing my own birds for their hackles.
    I'm having difficulty in finding hatcheries to supply eggs for hatching.
    Can any BYC members suggest any sources of these eggs???
    If you are unable to help with eggs ,perhaps you can help me identify which breeds of bird would give the following colors of hackle( and I will start my own breeding program))

Badger, Black, Blue Dunn , Grizzly (white and or any other grizzly color ) ,Honey , Red/Brown or White

Thanks for viewing and any help you can offer
    Alig

2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Have you checked with the Ministries of Fisheries and whatever the rest of that is to make sure you can import eggs?

I would think that in Scotland, you could easily get pheasants and they can be raised in pens and certainly have a very good assortment of feather colors and shapes to be used for fly tying.

I know that there are websites with photos or drawings of most of the breeds of chicken. Since fly tying is your primary purpose, I suggest that you start looking at photos and pick a couple of breeds based upon their feathering. I wouldn't have a clue what you are looking for.

You should be able to get Dorkings in Britain, and the silver grey Dorkings have some nice feather colors. They are also pretty good meat producers, so would serve a second purpose for you.

Or, maybe if what you want is feathers, some of the bantam breeds might work the best since they cost less to feed.

Edit to add: Ministry of Agriculture Fisheries and Food.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  3. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

Go with pheasant they are WAAAAY better if your going to use them for fishing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by