1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Genetic Info on peaocks

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by connerhills, Feb 5, 2015.

1. connerhills

connerhills Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2009
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  2. Garden Peas

Garden Peas Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2014
    Oh my goodness, I can't wait to read it [​IMG]

Thanks, George!!!!! [​IMG]

3. connerhills

connerhills Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2009
    Thanks to all who helped me with my problem . The first post on this thread. Are copies of research done by a friend of mine and others. I met Richard Burger at a UPA convention about 8-10 yrs ago . Richard was a pigeon breeder "Deluxe " and as you can see was good in peafowl also... He gave me these copies of his work and I also have another one on Cameo . Sorry one of them is upside down. and small. I think they can be enlarged. If there is interest I will find the other one and post it. I think these were done in 1990-91 you can see these on line if you look up,,,, The Journal Of Heredity... vol 82 number 1 ...Jan/Feb 1991 . connerhills

1 person likes this.
  4. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    [​IMG] thank you!

5. Dany12

Dany12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2011
    Hungary
    Thanks for sharing !
    It will perhaps explain why some IB Silver Pied are very white an others more dark !

HELP !! Wiki ! ..... example : Complete penetrance ???

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  6. Rosa moschata

Rosa moschata Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2013
    This confirms what I've suspected and posted previously -- the White and Pied alleles are "erasers" with variable expression (i.e. penetrance), but one (White) is a "stronger eraser" than the other (Pied). This also explains the "surprises" that some have posted regarding unexpected Pied offspring -- the variable expression of split to White, homozygous Pied, and split to Pied can result in misidentification of parents. And variable expression likely explains the difference between "Pied" and "Loud Pied" though they are genetically the same with respect to these two alleles.

:)

1 person likes this.
  7. Dany12

Aug 20, 2011
    Hungary
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
  8. Rosa moschata

Rosa moschata Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2013
    What the paper says about White X Blue = two thirds Wf and one third Blue is that the Blue split to White genotype will vary in phenotype -- i.e. some will show more white markings than others. This variability also explains the difference between "regular Pied" and "loud Pied" despite them being the same genetically with respect to the White and Pied alleles.

:)

1 person likes this.
  9. Dany12

Aug 20, 2011
    Hungary
    " the Wpd allele by itself produces what would probably have been considered an unattractive blue pattern and, thus,by itself would not have led to its conservation ".

I never heard that!

10. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    Ok I never got an answer to my post on the thread i started. Would it be possible this hen had silver pied father. Mom is India blue for certain.

[​IMG]

Very faint dusting of white on 1 shoulder.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by