genetic or just a fluke?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BarkerChickens, May 6, 2009.

1. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    We have a Jersey Giant cockerel, who is an absolute sweetheart. I wasn't planning on keeping any of the JG roos because have a 4 lbs EE hen and she'd become a pancake under such a big guy. But, this little guy is such a sweetheart. But, I still have my concerns...

When we got him (2 days old) his middle toe was bloody and was severed at the tip. He healed up great and now has all three toes the same length, but he doesn't mind. At about 2 weeks old, the inside toe adjacent to the broke toe started bending 90 degrees (away from the middle toe). We thought it was the crooked toes like we saw on here and thought we'd boot his little foot. That toe will NOT bend straight. Trying to bend it out is like trying to bend our own knees forward. So, I started thinking that maybe it got broke too when the middle toe got broke and it just healed wrong. I have read that it can be genetic when their toes do that, but would this be genetic if it started at 2 or so weeks of age AND it is only one toe (coincidentally adjacent to the broken toe)?

The reason I ask is because if we keep him, I don't want him passing on nasty genes. If it is not genetic, I don't care that he was a toe stub with a bent toe. It doesn't seem to bother him. Also, will this prevent him from being able to mount the girls? Is it really a concern having a JG roo with a smaller hen (among a bunch of other hens)?

THANKS!!! [​IMG]

2. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I'm guessing he broke it.

3. BarkerChickens

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Thanks, horsejody! I sure hope that is all it was! [​IMG] Of course, if we had known BEFORE it healed, we'd have done whatever we could to correct it.

He is 6.5 wks old and already significantly bigger than the rest of the chicks (same age). He's gonna be a big boy, but he is so sweet. No need to be aggressive when you tower over them I guess! [​IMG] Will he be ok with our small hen? (or rather, will he be ok with him?). She is not a bantam, just a tiny standard.

4. firedove

firedove Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Fitzwilliam NH
    I've seen my friend's JG roo go after her bantam hens. He doesn't seem to hurt them, but most of the banties have just learned to out maneuver him since his size makes him a little clumsier. I'm sure your little hen will take care of herself.

5. BarkerChickens

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    That give me hope! Pia (the petite EE) can fly (well, limited now that trimmed her wings) and she is pretty fast. I never really thought about her agility compared to a JG roo.Pr

6. aberfitch

aberfitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas Fort Worth
    mineral/vitamin deficiency when he was an egg. he shouldn't pass it on. just watch the chicks. stop if trait continues.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by