Genetic Problem?!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PJ24, Jan 21, 2015.

1. PJ24

PJ24 New Egg

Jan 21, 2015
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hello All-
    I could really use some insight regarding my 8 month old Gold Brabanter. She appeared normal as a chick but as she developed, her legs grew disproportionally large. She had some issues walking at ~12 weeks so I would bring her in the house multiple times daily to feed & water her. I supplemented her with vitamins, electrolytes, and healthy foods. I also treated her for mites just in case. After a short period of time she was able to get around well although she always seemed very stiff. She never seemed to be in discomfort and would happily saunter about while free ranging. Her legs continued to grow. After much unsuccessful research I brought her to the farm from where I had purchased my chickens to see if he had ever seen this but he, too, was at a loss.
    Is anyone aware of a condition or disease that would explain this?
    Thanks in advance for your time & input!
    :) Pam

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    He's a rooster. Roosters have much larger legs than hens and until they grow into them they look a bit silly. So he's fine, just a boy and not a girl :) They do look a bit large even for a rooster though - I wonder if he will grow into them?

3. PJ24

PJ24 New Egg

Jan 21, 2015
    He's definitely a she. Her brother was a rooster.

4. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Do you have a full body shot? Because I'm seeing rooster type crest feathers and hackle feathers, unless the picture is deceiving me, and those are traits only roosters have.

1 person likes this.
  5. PJ24

PJ24 New Egg

Jan 21, 2015
    This is an oldie ~but a goodie~ of "Kid 'n Play" … They are Brabanters. I *thought* I purchased 2 Gold pullets however I ended up with the Gold pullet on the left and the Cream cockeral on the right. Unfortunately he ended up being way too aggressive, so we took him back to the farm (with Kid to show her legs) and a home was quickly found for Play. She's definitely a she.
    [​IMG]

6. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    See how different the hackle feathers are in the "now" photo compared to the "oldie but goodie" - that is what Pyxis is seeing and referring to - can you get a current side shot of the bird that shows the hackle and saddle feathering? The "now" photo is showing distinctly male hackle feathers - females of this variety are feathered very differently.

1 person likes this.
  7. PJ24

PJ24 New Egg

Jan 21, 2015
    no … she died last night. Everything about her was different from her brother- size, sound, comb, temperament … And, the Farmer agreed she was a pullet when I had him look at her.

Regardless, the legs are/were absurdly large - hen or rooster. They are/were bigger than my Buff Orpington rooster's legs. I've read Brabanters are in the 'rare breed, trying to make a come back' category. I'm wondering if this may be a genetic defect anyone has seen~

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I have seen legs like that in pictures of disease called osteopetrosis or marble leg disease. It is thought to be related to avian leukosis disease. Here are some links to read:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/918075/swollen-legs-hampshire-red
    http://www.askjpc.org/vspo/show_page.php?id=242

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  9. PJ24

PJ24 New Egg

Jan 21, 2015
    … just found this one … [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Sorry for your loss :hugs He was a rooster, though - the hens and roosters of this breed are colored differently and have different looking crest feathers. Also only males get those shiny long neck feathers - referred to as hackle feathers. He just bloomed later than his brother. You can see in that last picture you posted the longer, skinnier, shiny crest feathers - that's a male trait. Females have shorter, fatter, more rounded crests. Those legs do look abnormally large - perhaps bad genetics were at work and that would explain the loss. The diseases that Eggcessive mentioned also sounds very likely.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by