genetic question for breeders with experience

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by KatyTheChickenLady, May 14, 2010.

1. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    This is not a question of color or sex linking [​IMG]
    A few of us over on the meat bird thread were discussing the old time belief that one should use the male line to breed for body type and the female line for maternal traits. Instinctively I would argue this, however my experience is with mammals. Of course on the meat bird thread we are looking at leg & breast size, breadth, fertility etc.
    I know there are a lot of experts on genetics over here and was hoping I could get a chime in from someone (or a few) with more experience and knowledge than I.
    thanks!

2. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    [​IMG]

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    In my experience the female in the breeding pen has more influence on the outcome of her off spring than the male. The male is still 50% of the breeding pen, but the female stamps more influence of greatness on the off spring. You cant have good offspring without a great hen...

Chris

4. Shaffer

Shaffer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    Tamaqua, NE Pa
    Katy,
    Did you try and contact a University, many of them like Texas A&M have done studies on many subjects.

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    My understanding is that there is very little known about the genes that determine type (why is a cochin round versus a leghorn slender; etc.).

6. Henk69

Henk69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    In theory the rooster contributes more especially to his daughters (sexlinked traits).

Selecting for male traits on cockerels and female traits on pullets makes sense because the other way around you can't spot the traits you aim for (eg laying capacity on cockerel [​IMG] ). But genetically it is a different story.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by