Genetic Question!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Celtic Hill, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Celtic Hill

Celtic Hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    So i am getting eggs this spring and the rooster is a austrolorp/barred rock cross, The hens are RIR, NHR, BR and Austros. What kind of color chicks can i expect (once they mature)?

2. Medicine Man

Medicine Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2010
    Apple Hill
    Expect a beautiful array.

3. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    If the rooster is barred, then all the chicks will be barred. If not, you'll have a mix of mostly black and barred chicks.

4. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    Your rooster should be barred, but he'll only carry one barred gene. He'll pass it on to about half of his offspring, and all the chicks who carry it will show it. Your barred hens will also carry one barring gene, but they'll only pass it on to their sons. You will know which sons got a gene from each parent by how distinct the barring pattern is. One gene = wide, blurry barring, and two genes = narrow, sharp bars. IDK what color the offspring of the red hens will be.

5. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:If the roo is from a Black Australorp X Barred Rock cross like the OP said, then he will be het barred so when bred to non barred hens, half of his offspring will be barred and half will be non barred so there should be a pretty even mix of barred ( some with red leakage from the RIR and NHR hens) Blacks and Blacks with leakage.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by