genetic questions #2

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by redrooster99, Nov 28, 2013.

1. redrooster99

redrooster99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2013
    georgia
    list your qestions and the experts will hopefully get on here and help out

try to only list a question after the one before you has been answered.

okay my first question is how do yo add different genes to chickens

ex: putting khaki into a chicken

PLEASE HELP!!!!!

2. Henk69

Henk69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    What you need is the breed of chickens that you want to change (the desired breed), and a chicken that can be the donor of the gene you want to introduce.

If the gene (allele/mutation) is dominant you can get back to the original form of the desired breed by backcrossing the hybrids/crosslings (=F1) to the desired breed, eg the one parent.
    How do you know when it is dominant? Because you can see its effect in the first generation (=F1). In case of khaki that would be chocolate coloration.

If you don't see the effect, you best intercross the F1. The second generation (=F2) should be large in numbers. A few of these will show the desired effects. If you want to get back to the desired form fast, you can repeat this proces with such an F2 animal as donor etc...

Translators... ;)

3. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Wait a minute redrooster99, You already started one genetics question list.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/840031/if-you-have-genetic-questions
    Why is there another one?
    Karen

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  4. redrooster99

redrooster99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2013
    georgia
    i just wanted to. why not[​IMG]can somebody answer how do you get a spangled chicken. im talking about like oeg spangled. im wandering about cochin bantam as the breed

5. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    I don't know. Maybe ask back on the other thread where the genetics experts were already hanging out? Just a thought.
    Karen

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    different threads, different questions? Anyways, I answered spangling on the other thread.

To simplify Henk's answer, if the gene is not present in the breed, then you need to breed to a bird that does have the gene. You really want to select a breed that is as close as possible in as many characteristics as possible so that you have less issues to later correct.

Anyways, make the cross, and it can be useful to use multiple unrelated birds to make the cross so that when you breed your F1s together, you can select unrelated pairs rather than breeding siblings together. Not really an issue in a first cross, but the smaller the gene pool is, the more problems you can run into in just a few generations. This is especially important when you are dealing with recessive genes that do need multiple crosses to get the gene set in the birds. If you are breeding in a dominant gene, then you can cross back to unrelated birds of the target breed. To carry out Henk's example, once you have bred dun into the breed, you can cross chocolate coloured birds with blacks and get about half chocolate coloured offspring. Breed to enough blacks and you will have plenty of unrelated, or not closely related chocolate coloured birds that you can breed together for khakis.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by