Genetic soup! Help? Pic heavy!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Tuppemor, May 21, 2011.

1. Tuppemor

Tuppemor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Norway
    I had some chicks last year that moved to my friend. I don't have chickens anymore (might start up again though), but the chicks she got are now grown and sitting on eggs. We are very curious as to what will come out of them as there seems to have been something strange going on with the parent stock. Any insights or guesses welcome. [​IMG] I do realize this will be a messy post. [​IMG]

The original parent stock consisted of a few variants.
    Roosters:
    Gold brahma
    Salmon faverolles

Hens:
    Gold brahma
    Black brahma
    Salmon faverolles
    Plymouth rock

None came out pure colored, so that leaves us with these possible combinations (according to http://kippenjungle.nl/kruising.html ):

Gold brahma roo x salmon faverolles hen - salmonish look on both sexes, geno+pheno is the same
    Gold brahma roo x black barred hen - black hens, black barred roos, geno+pheno is the same
    Gold brahma roo x black hen - black of both sexes, geno+pheno is the same

Salmon faverolles roo x gold brahma hen - salmonish look on both sexes, geno+pheno is the same
    Salmon faverolles roo x black barred hen - black barred roos, black hens, geno+pheno is the same
    Salmon faverolles roo x black hen - black in both sexes, geno+pheno is the same

There were no salmonish looking ones, which leaves us with only black hens and black or black barred roos, right?
    Well, what came out was black hens indeed, but the roos were strange. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

One roo started out black with a spot on its head, indicating plymouth rock. He has turned progessively more barred and now looks like this:
    [​IMG]
    As a youngster:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Looking at his color and his comb I must conclude this is gold brahma crossed with plymouth rock
    [​IMG]

The other roo started out black and turned out like this (he died during the winter, so no telling what he may have ended up like):
    [​IMG]
    As a youngster:
    [​IMG]

Looking at his comb, I am thinking half black brahma and half faverolles? He also had five toes.
    [​IMG]

What happened with the coloring on these? The barred roo has so much black on him, and it seems to vary with the season. The black roo had yellow neck feathers, was this faverolles bleeding through?

And then the hens, pretty straight forward black, but curious to know the mix (plymouth rock or brahma crossed with brahma or faverolles).
    All have foot feathering, some more than others. If I understand this correctly, it is possible to tell by their combs what mix they are?
    Pea comb = full brahma
    Intermediary comb= brahma and plymouth
    Single comb= faverolles and plymouth

And last, but not at all least: What on earth will the chicks after the barred roo and the black hens look like?! Will they all be barred or black?

2. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Looks like you have guessed pretty close on the crosses. Those are nice looking chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by