Genetic test for blue egg laying gene

I found a place that will genotype the whole chicken for $700 & also found that the blue eggshell is caused by an EAV-HP insertion that promotes the expression of SLCO1B3 gene in the uterus (shell gland) of the oviduct in chicken. So I am in the process of trying to ding someone that can test for just that gene. Maybe someone with a lab already set up with the basic equipment? Setup looks to price out around $10000...darn it.

Yes, that helps. Thank you. For an example, breeding a blue ameraucana rooster to a blue ameraucana hen. The offspring will turn out to be black, blue or/and splash. And all of the offspring will be bred true correct.?

Yes, they will all be Ameraucana's.
You can do a search for the %'s you can expect from the matting.
If I remember right, it's 50% black, 25% blue and, 25% splash. These numbers are just the odds, it is a gene pool lottery after all.
Hope that you get a good hatch!
Scott

The op was re the blue egg gene- like for olive egg projects

Yes, I know, I was following this thread to see if any good replies to your question were posted.
Mylittledinosaurs posted a feather color question, and I answered them as best as I could.
I also bumped up this thread into the new posting ranks some, then more people might see it and someone just might have an answer to your question.
I was not trying to hi-jack your thread for anything else.
I want to see a good answer to your question myself!
Scott

What does the meaning of 'blue does not breed true'? I'm planning to mate two blues together of the same breed. Will their offspring be true breeds or no? :confused:

If you are talking about the color blue, the mating can produce-a black, a blue or, a splash. All of the offspring will be true-bred.
Hope this helps you some.
Scott

If you are talking about the color blue, the mating can produce-a black, a blue or, a splash. All of the offspring will be true-bred.
Hope this helps you some.
Scott

Yes, that helps. Thank you. For an example, breeding a blue ameraucana rooster to a blue ameraucana hen. The offspring will turn out to be black, blue or/and splash. And all of the offspring will be bred true correct.?

Back
Top Bottom