Genetic Throwup? Pictures added :)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Zahboo, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    We have Mottled Cochins and we hatched out babies.

3 are normal looking, then 8 are Black with TINY bit of white and frizzled? Fullblooded still?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2010

2. Hi! That sounds curious! How old are the chicks?
    My mottled Cochins hatch either yellow (with or without a black headspot) or black --- they all feather out the same (to my eye).
    Is there a Frizzled bird around that might be a possible parent?
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

3. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    If mottled cochins can be black then I am guessing that's what they are. There are no frizzle birds here, haven't been and they are the first I've had in years. We did hatch some rosecomb/cochin mixes, but someone on here told me since they were rosecomb/single comb mixes, all mixes would be rosecombed. There are some like that, no middle toe feathering, smooth combed, splotched faces. The black ones have BEAUTIFUL middle toe feathering, but are mostly black, and frizzled.

4. isadream

isadream Songster

Mar 10, 2009
    Huntsville, Alabama
    Can you post pics of the frizzled ones? I had some that sorta look like they were frizzled but they really werent once they became adults. It like the feathers were a little kinked. Also I think that some of the mottles are born with some white on them and some are not.

5. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    [​IMG]

Definitley frizzled, there's 8 of the frizzles, 4 of the mixes, and 3 of the normal.

[​IMG]

Mottled Wings

[​IMG]

Rosecomb mix

Last edited: Jun 13, 2010

6. Hi Leah! I'm not seeing which ones are the frizzled ones.
    My frizzled chicks have an obvious 'curl' in their first wing feathers.
    I don't see that in your pics (could be my poor eye-sight or my moniter).
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

7. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    I take bad pictures, crappy camera. They are DEFINITLEY frizzled. They do the curly que thing.
    Quote:

8. isadream

isadream Songster

Mar 10, 2009
    Huntsville, Alabama
    I am sorry but I dont see the frizzle either? They may just be kinked like some of mine--I have a new hatch from a mottled cochin who could possibly be frizzled--in a few days if it starts to frizzle up then I will post a pic. He is very light colored but both parents were blue so I think he/she is gonna be a splash. My other frrizzles are like 5 weeks old I think and it is very obvious on them. How old are your babies? Would a pic of one that was almost totally feathered help you any?

9. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

This is my little frizzled cochin mix at 11 days ~ you can see the feathers curling already.

[​IMG]

This is her now at 10 weeks.

[​IMG]

BTW ~ love the dog with 1 blue eye keeping watch!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010

10. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Do these help at all. I was certain they were frizzled, since all 4 were like this, one was even more so.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by