Genetic Traits

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP' started by Mr D, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Mr D

Mr D Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2015
    SETX
    Which, the Sire or the Dam, passes on more strongly 1) feather coloring and 2) overall disposition?

2. Makomd

Makomd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    ES of MD , USA
    The easiest answer is 50/50 each, but with sex linked genes that may not always be the case.

3. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Historically is the sire has the most influence on the color and the dam has the most influence on the disposition. That' a general quantifier. Generally speaking.
    Best Success,
    Karen

4. gjensen

gjensen Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2011
    Midlands, South Carolina
    These are old wife's tails. Less sex linked genes and all else being equal, the contribution is the same.

Yes, many still believe this today, but it does not make it true.

5. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    That is why I added the word "historically" instead of "scientifically" to the sentence.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  6. gjensen

gjensen Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2011
    Midlands, South Carolina
    I understood where you were coming from Karen.

To the OP . . . .

In practice it is not easy to discern, but you can predict on some level by experience. It is more about the individual, and the family behind that individual, than it is the sex of that individual. It also depends on the specifics being considered.

Line breeding is about emphasizing the strengths of an individual. A well bred individual that comes from a uniform flock, and again all else being equal, will have more influence than one that is otherwise. Some would call that pre potent. In other words, it is not just the individual, but the family behind that individual.

This is not to say that there is not something about a particular male that makes him a good choice concerning color etc. That would depend on the color and that individual among other things.

We can always pick apart generalizations, but you will be better for emphasizing the merits of an individual rather than the sex of an individual.

2 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by