Genetically, any chance of breeding the boots out of Belgian d'Uccles?

LoveChooks9000

Chirping
Dec 18, 2017
Qld, Australia
I plan on getting Belgian d'Uccle bantams some time in the future, but there is one thing about them that 'bugs' me, and that is their boots!
I am very interested in genetics, and know a lot about budgie (parakeet) genetics, but have not looked into d'Uccle genetics at all yet. I definitely will when I get closer to buying them. But, just for now, I thought I would ask if anyone knows much about this, eg. has anyone ever made an attempt to breed out the boots? If so, how successful was it? It may be totally impossible for all I know at this point, but would be interested to know if others have tried this, and any results.

Hi CapricornFarm,
It is really the nature/personality of the d'Uccles that I love more than anything, so a different type of bird that looks the same is not really what I'm looking for. A good suggestion, though! Thank you. :)

Why not consider Belgian d'Anvers instead? They're similar birds, but have a rose-comb and are clean legged.

Hi Sneebsey,
Thank you for your reply. I have done a bit of reading on Belgian d'Anvers, as I thought exactly the same thing, i.e. the perfect bird.....much like d'Uccles but without the dang 'boots'!....but apparently they are not quite as friendly as d'Uccles.
I came to love d'Uccles because I saw some in a show once, and I always have a little chat to all the chooks and parrots at shows, and don't usually get a huge response. However, this gorgeous little d'Uccle came straight over to the front of the cage and let me stroke it's chest. At first I thought it was because I'd discovered that it's watering container had been placed too high up in the cage for it to reach, and I'd moved it down so it could have a drink. But even after the drink, it still stood there and looked so happy to have human contact. So...that's how I came to be so set on d'Uccles. :love
If the boots can't be bred out, I guess I can just trim them if that causes no problems for the birds. I'll look into that when the time comes!

I think if you hatch enough of them you might get a small percentage without feathered feet. Use those for your foundation birds.
That would be ideal, CapricornFarm. I'll be hoping to hatch some...the more, the better!...without feathered feet.
That has actually given me another idea. When I buy my initial stock, I'll make a point of asking for any (otherwise healthy) birds that have non-feathered or sparsely-feathered feet! People will probably think I'm insane, as I think most people like the boots, but I just find them to be a bit....untidy! lol Must be a bit OCD here!
Thanks for the idea. :)

Yes look for ones with not heavily feathered feet or maybe use the other breed and try to breed more of the feathering off the feet. And then use the least feathered of all to try to keep what you like about the d’Uccle. Yes I love the little shits. But I on the other hand love their feet!!!!!!! I love when they run to you.

Back
Top Bottom