Genetically modified chicken feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by bock, Jul 29, 2011.

1. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Little background story: I have 22 hens that just started laying about 2 weeks ago. The eggs are still small, and not all are laying yet (1/2 of them are 3 weeks younger), but as soon as things pick up, I will begin selling eggs. I wanted to do this not only to make up for the feed costs, but to also raise awareness about the treatment of factory farmed animals and the difference eating free range eggs (milk and meat too) makes in our health. Myself, I am a freak about animals being treated well, and also about my own health, I try to eat almost all Organic and plenty of raw foods. So, it just kind of made sense for me to sell eggs locally.

My chickens all free range, from 8 AM to 9PM everyday, which is great. The thing is, they eat Layena. Which I know is full of genetically modified corn and Soybeans. It bothers me a lot. I don't know if it will hurt the chickens much, their lives are just too short. But then again, maybe it does. I know too much corn at all is probably not good, organic or not.They seem healthy. But mostly, I wonder how it effects the eggs, and the people who eat them. I want to go Organic, but I can't really afford that unless I raised egg prices, which would result in costumers lost. I already have some competition! So, I was wondering what you think, do you feed your chickens organic? If so, do you think it is worth it? Thanks ahead of time! [​IMG]

2. HeadlessChicken

HeadlessChicken Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2011
    People have very strong views when it comes to GM and organic foods, so I am preparing for the backlash that the following statements may cause!

I can tell you that all research conducted to date indicates that GM foods are not harmful, and that organic fruits and vegetables are a waste of money as they are less nutritious and do not have a significantly different flavour from non-organic. If they are good enough for you and I then I am sure that your chickens will be fine!

Jack

P.S. I can provide journal articles for all of these claims.

3. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Hope you have a double lined flame suit!

4. HeadlessChicken

Jul 29, 2011
    I'm a doctor, so I like to think that I know a little bit about science and human physiology!

5. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay :

Quote:Hope you have a double lined flame suit!

[​IMG] No kidding huh?! It'll start any second now! Very brave HeadlessChicken though I will say that as a farmers wife who has taken some time to educate herself about the subject, I'm in your camp!

Going away now and probably not coming back to see the flames! [​IMG]

6. HeadlessChicken

Jul 29, 2011
    Thanks for your support! I don't mind voicing my opinions, and people are entitled to disagree with them if they so wish. This backlash against modern farming really irritates me; were it not for advances in agricultural practice we would not be able to feed all 6 billion people that currently inhabit this planet.

Jack

7. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Well that wasn't too helpful....... [​IMG]

8. HeadlessChicken

Jul 29, 2011
    Bock,

I'm sorry if you found my comments unhelpful. I was simply stating that you don't need to feel guilty about feeding your chickens non-organic feed, it won't harm them.

Jack

9. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    To the OP -- I don't know why you feel you couldn't raise your prices. Organic eggs command a substantial premium, from about $2 to about $4 a dozen, depending upon the particulars of size, market, etc. I know I've seen them as high as around $6.50 a dozen at the Whole Foods in Birmingham, Michigan, which is a very affluent suburb.

10. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    There is some type of food called a forage block that is for chickens. It's supposed to be better for the health of the birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by