genetics? about my sexlink roo

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by evonne, Dec 21, 2009.

1. evonne

evonne Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Las Vegas
    we .. well the theories here on BYC.... decided my gimpy roo Pyrgus is a sexlink.. RIR/barred rock.... which makes sense becasue the guy i got him from had from the same breeder, barred rocks and rir....

my question is, if i breed him (if he's able?? don't know if he can hang on with his feet?? had a broken leg at one time and is now a special needs chicken.. lol) to my barred rock hens, will they all come out barred rock looking?? being 3/4 BR??? or will that RIR pop out a little, or a lot???

i know the resulting babies wont be sex links.. and that's fine.. just wondering what they might look like...

2. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    Might not be exactly what you are asking but RIR has dominate genes. Crossing my Black Sexlink roos with my Black Sexlink and Gold Sexlink hens have produced about 60% Red roos and no red hens. Around 10-20% barring but not barred black, mostly red or gold baring over white.
    And if it makes any difference my sexlinks were from Ideal Hatchery.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  3. blackdotte

blackdotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    The resulting chicks will be either barred (the majority) or black in both sexes.
    David

4. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    I am with BLACKDOTTE-50% of the girls will be barred;50% will be black with gold or silver leak.Boys all will be barred

5. evonne

evonne Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Las Vegas
    hhmmm okay... keep opinions coming... i'm curious...
    like i said, i'm not even sure eh'll be able to breed... if not, he'll keep watch over my barnyard egg layers.. lol.. he's such a sweety.. and he come running to protect my kids from my other roo... so i don't care if he can or cannot have babies..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by