1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Genetics are so so weird!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by mama24, Dec 16, 2011.

1. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    Is there a book anyone can recommend for chicken genetics? I am increasingly interested in color genetics, and I need a book! LOL.

I have 3 babies a broody bantam hatched out last month. They are about 7 weeks old and she's still taking care of them! Anyway, one of them, if I didn't know better, I would be sure he was 100% purebred Delaware! It's really amazing! My first chickens were Delawares, so I am familiar with what they should look like. He's all white with black tipped wings and perfectly flecked/barred neck and tail feathers! His legs are bright yellow. The only thing that's off is his comb looks like a single comb, but it's a little fatter than a normal single comb. He hatched out of a green egg! There is no Delaware in his background that I am aware of at all! Another one of the group that hatched out of a green egg started out mostly white, but is now looking more like mottled black, with white feathered legs! Neither parent had feathered legs! It's so funny! The other looks like my silver EE's, but it has a large red single comb. Here's a pic of them, about a week old, so their color has come in a little more since then:

That's their mama off to the right, not in the picture. They are almost the same size as her now, but she still tries to cover them all up at night! Too cute!
    [​IMG]

2. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
  3. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by