1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Genetics BBS hiding partridge...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by walkswithdog, Sep 14, 2009.

1. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    A splash roo, with BBS hens. From demonstrably BBS lines. Yields some partridge chicks. Am I correct that he has to carry partridge and one of the hens has to carry partridge to produce partridge chicks?

Is that E/e^b? I'm too new to this not to check what I think I know....

2. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

Technically if talking of multiple laced partridge, the genes are eb, Pg, s+. They would be inherited independently. What are the birds?

3. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Do you mean birchen? Or are you positive it's partridge?

4. walkswithdog

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    I was thinking eb and pg and s+, not just pg because it's not just "lacing" the blue ones. It's actually creating partridge patterned birds. I'm pretty sure the question was about normal brown partridge from a BBS pen.

And I don't think birchen, this is a sizzle or silkie question and no birchen present.

5. Krys109uk

Sorry to be fussy but...................... if using letters to represent genes one needs to be precise or it defeats the object & means not a lot. [​IMG]
    Pg is pattern gene pg+ is the wild type allele non pattern gene.

I am told silkies of all colours are said to be most often eb. Not sure why, but there it is.

When you say normal brown partridge, do you mean partridge as in wyandotte with Pg, or partridge like duckwing as in welsumer (pg+)?

6. walkswithdog

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Sorry about the inconsistent use.

Pg, they appear pattern gened

They appear eb

So splash and black could conceal eb Pg and s+, to have it crop up as a patterened, eb and s+ bird?

Did I make that more clear, or fuzzier....??? chuckle...

7. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Wait- are you saying you have blue partridge? [​IMG]

I get a little confused with al the Pg and eb and the like. [​IMG]

8. Krys109uk

So splash and black could conceal eb Pg and s+, to have it crop up as a patterened, eb and s+ bird?

The eb blacks (leghorns) I've had were heavily melanised.
    I know extended blacks (E) sometimes have Pg & are often s+ by default.

I'm not sure how it could work as silkies are supposed to be eb. I can't see that the genes would segregate out that neatly. It would make more sense if they were E as they would need fewer melanisers. [​IMG]

9. Krys109uk

Wait- are you saying you have blue partridge?

Actually, if hey really are partridge coming out of blues etc. then some would be blue partridge.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by