genetics color question...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by klf73, May 13, 2010.

1. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I was just curious if anyone knew how the wc gene works? If I take a white crested chocolate(dun) polish and outcross to a non crested breed what happens with the white crest? will the head still be white?

2. Henk69

Henk69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    white crest is the default but only applies to a large crest (I call it brainfeathers [​IMG] ).
    Crest is dominant but the size is reduced in crossings. The brainfeathers probably don't show.

3. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    Quote:are you saying it can appear spontaneously in a flock of large crested silkies???? [​IMG]

4. Henk69

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    Sorry, with large crested I mean incuding the skull knob, like in the polish.
    Silkies are also a special case because they have dark skin (fibromelanosis). Don't know if that counteracts the white crest.

Last edited: May 14, 2010
  5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Hmmm, I have a white crested black silkie--let me go check her skin colour--okay her skin is quite dark. And I just noticed that she is now getting white feathers in her beard. She started out completely black; after her first adult molt she started getting white in her crest--right now it is between a quarter and a third white. Mot are completely white feathers, but a few are barely tipped in white. The same with her beard, but I could only find one fully white feather. Camera needs new batteries or I'd have taken pics.

6. Henk69

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    On the beard I would expect groundcolor silver. The white in polish crest is not silver as you can make gold based chickens with white crest.

7. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    if crossing to a non crested breed, how many crosses does it take to breed out the crest? Approximately, if any one knows...

8. Henk69

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by