1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Genetics discussion about this silkie cockerel...thanks for your input

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Three Cedars Silkies, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    This 7 month old cockerel was from a lavender cock over a black hen. Sonoran Silkies and others that know...what caused the silver in the hackles? Do you otherwise like the conformation of this cockerel? If I keep him, what can I expect if I breed him to black hens? How about if I put him in my BBS pen?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2010
  2. GraceAK

GraceAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    Eagle River, AK
    it looks like reverse columbian! [​IMG] Cool.
    this reminds my of how some sex link was found to occasionally have this "sport" pattern which was developed into the Delaware.
    Im interested to hear what others say....

3. SilkieCRZYness

SilkieCRZYness Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Florida
    I'm not shure if lav can carry the silver gene. My guess would be the black hen had the silver gene hidden and it exposed with this generation. Maybe breeding lavXblack will produce the silver gene. But your right, if anyone on this forum would know about genetics, sonoransilkies will tell you the exact answer. Type and crest, feet feathering all look awesome, to bad he carries the silver gene, could have made a great breeder, but his offspring will definitely carry the silver gene, or atleast a certain % will, proly 50% will.

4. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    He's birchen. Somebody must have been hiding the pattern.

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Bingo...
    That is what I would say...

Chris

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  6. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    I know that he looks birchen, but since there is no "birchen" in silkies except when improperly bred, I'm wondering if this will be passed on to his offspring...or not.

I'm so trying to learn chicken genetics, but it's very slow coming. Shoot, I took genetics in nursing school, but can't remember a thing...of course that was almost 40 years ago!! [​IMG]

7. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    breed it with greys...

8. OverEggstended

OverEggstended Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    SW Washington State
    Horrible... just horrible. You should cull him immediately. Best way to do it is to put him in a box and send him to my house... need the address? I am here for YOU! [​IMG]

9. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Oh, please, cull him to my house!

10. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    As I understand it, off color on supposed-to-be-solids are due to birds not having/being pure for all the genes that help to make a solid colored bird. The white on neck is white just because he is silver, if he was gold, the area would have been brown/red/gold colored instead.. basically all chickens, save for very unusual exceptions, are silver or gold(or hetero for some roosters) so the 'silver' is pretty much irrelevant to this issue.

A birchin without the aid of 'darkening/solidifying' genes will be black bodied with lot more color(such as copper black marans, birchen modern games etc).. an E bird without the extra genes often will have less off color but still some on neck.

It can be a problem where a line doesn't quite have all the necessary genes present or homozygous, for the hens to be apparently solid colored and cockerels seem to grow up solid colored but eventually show some off color at maturity. I had a really bad problem with a line like this- hens would almost all be perfectly solid black but the roosters would end up having varying amounts of off color on necks.. very frustrating.

It could be the apparently solid black hen used was something like this and produced some sons with the off color as a result. Could be the rooster not being homozygous for all genes.. or...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by