genetics gurus-color genetics-mottled

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by klf73, Oct 22, 2008.

1. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I have some project birds. They are mottled ameraucana. I have 1 homozygous(visual mottled) and 4 heterozygous(visual blue). To proceed with this I will need to use a hetero roo as I think the homo is a pullet(8 weeks). Would it be better to hatch eggs from these and only keep the homozygous? Then to improve egg color(little more green than I would like)would I use my black ameraucana roo(nice blue egg)to the homozygous pullet offspring? Would it be better to use blue since that is what was already being used?
    My head hurts.......[​IMG] Maybe I should wait till the kids grow up so I can use my brain better [​IMG]

2. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    LMAO Well, are you after mottled blue or black birds? I would say the black is a good choice if it improves egg color.... you can always use offspring to get back to the blue if that's what you're after.

Hey! Can I get some eggs from you [​IMG] I have a feeling that one of my blacks may have some mottled genes hiding in there somewhere [​IMG]

3. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I will send you eggs when they start laying in the spring, you will just have to remind me [​IMG]
    I was going to get some more eggs from the breeder but she and I have had bad luck. I only had 2 brown/reds hatch, 5 mottled and 5 blue. I think I got 5 dozen eggs from her(2 shipments) I am going to have to sell the brn/reds just because I am not going to designate a whole pen to 2 birds and have taken on a few projects. I can't wait to see how the homozygous feathers in after it looses the baby colors. I wasn't sure if there was a reason I shouldn't use the blue(they came from nice blue eggs too, but I think I only have pullets). I guess I will have to see what hatches in the spring [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by