Genetics Gurus, what is this phenotype/genotype please?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Medicine Man, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Medicine Man

Medicine Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2010
    Apple Hill
    Can anybody please tell me what this bird would be called, in color and pattern and possibly genotype? Apologies my flash went out.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Thank you.

2. Henk69

Henk69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    blue wheaten.

3. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    I would guess she is an EE or a non-standard color Ameraucana? Where did you get her? She is a very pretty girl. [​IMG] The closest color I can compare her to is silver but she is not quite that. I am a complete newbie to Ameraucanas so hopefully someone with a lot more knowledge than me will chime in.

4. Medicine Man

Nov 21, 2010
    Apple Hill
    Quote:Thank you. This is actually what I was thinking, I didn't want to suggest anything though and sway opinion.
    (and I really do not know, it was a lucky guess inside my head) [​IMG]

Is there any significance/name to that pattern around her neck? Is that called Columbian? Colombian?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
  5. Henk69

Henk69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    Quote:Thank you. This is actually what I was thinking, I didn't want to suggest anything though and sway opinion.
    (and I really do not know, it was a lucky guess inside my head) [​IMG]

Is there any significance/name to that pattern around her neck? Is that called Columbian? Colombian?

Hackle black.

The columbian effect is not very noticable on wheaten hens since their body is already free of most black pattern.
    On the males however it would be the substitution of the black breast and wingbands with the gold groundcolor; the body is groundcolored.
    On the hen it also equalizes the groundcolor; less red and wheaten, more gold in hue.

On a wheaten hen there would be little hackle black. Melanizers (black enhancers) like melanotic or charcoal, are necessary to make a hackle pattern like hers.
    Hard to tell which it is, also because many melanizers are unknown.

6. Medicine Man

Nov 21, 2010
    Apple Hill
    Thank you Henk.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by