Genetics help.........

HickoryHollow

Songster
7 Years
May 28, 2012
Bolivar, Ohio
Hi everyone,
Ok, if I breed a New Hampshire (red) rooster, to a White Rock (White Plymouth Rock) hen, I should get a Red Sex Link. (Golden Comet, Red Star, etc.) When the peeps hatch, the roos will be all white and the pullets a redish or orangish tinge......

My question is this: If I breed one of the male (white) offspring to one of the female (red) offspring, will their peeps be sexable by color as well? What traits (if any) will also be lost?

Thanks Tim

Ok, so answer this then........

If I had:

a New Hampshire Roo and a Dark Cornish Roo....................................

Some Barred Rock hens, and some White rock (plymouth rock) hens.........

I should be able to produce the following, right????????

New Hamp (red) Roo X Barred Rock hen = Black sex link
New Hamp (red) Roo X White Rock hen = Red sex link (Golden Buff)
Dark Cornish (black) Roo X White Rock hen = Cornish Cross meet bird

Is all that right??????

This is a well written article on sex link genetics
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/261208/sex-linked-information
You should read the first post in this thread. Tadkerson really knows his stuff.

Now, about the white Rocks. Are they from a hatchery? Unless you know the exact genetics behind the whites you may or may not get sex links. Here is a quote from that thread:

The second important rule is that one should not use white birds in sex linked crosses. White birds that have the correct genotype can be used to make a sex linked cross but a breeder never knows if the white bird has the correct genotype. The authors advise concerning white birds and sex linked crossing is do not use white birds in sex linked crosses. White leghorns can not be used in any kind of color sex linked cross.

As for the Cornish x Rocks, you won't get the same kind of super fast growing meat type birds that you can get from a hatchery. Those are special 4 way crosses. You may want to look over the Meat Bird forum to see what sort of crosses people have done there and what their results were.

Thanks "KM", from Holly's post above yours, I had been wading through Tadkerson's article. I am amazed at the information in that article. Still digesting, thanks a million!

Back
Top Bottom