1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

genetics i need some help

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by squeak1387, Sep 21, 2011.

1. squeak1387

squeak1387 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    bronson, fl
    So yesterday I hatched out a fluffly 5 toed feather footed naked neck chick. You are probably saying, yeah that's gonna be a show girl, the only problem is the skin is not black. So now I'm totaly lost. What I've read says u get black skin no matter what when its mixed with a silky. And the only birds I have with 5 toes are my silkies. So can anyone help me out with this. Why would it have 5 toes but not black skin?

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Because maybe your Silkies are poor quality hatchery birds? [​IMG] That's the only conclusion I can think of, however, the fluffiness only comes from crossing back to a Silkie again or crossing F1 x F1, which can indeed lose the skin pigment, so the question is, are you sure you crossed back to the Silkie?

Have you checked your Silkie's skin? When from a hatchery, not all are dark skinned.

3. squeak1387

May 15, 2011
    bronson, fl
    My silkies aren't hatchery bred, and they are all dark. I'm not even sure if there is silkie in it but I just assumed since it had the extra toe

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Do you have any Cochins or Frizzles?

5. ki4got

ki4got Hatch-a-Holic

Apr 24, 2011
    Roanoke VA
    are the eggs from your own stock?

there are several breeds that have 5 toes besides the silkies, including sultan, dorking, faverolles... I have a chick I was told was a silkie but i questioned that because he has pink skin... turned out to be a sultan...

6. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    You need to know the background of the parents. With paints we are getting pink skin very often at hatch. Buffs very often hatch with pink skin, most of the time it darkens. Not knowing anything other than its an SG, not a lot can be said for what is going on.

7. squeak1387

May 15, 2011
    bronson, fl
    I do have chochins, but no males, and the hens aren't lyaing yet. plus it hatched from a brown egg. I do no have any of the other breeds mentioned. Here is what I have that is laying/breeding age in that pen... turken male and female... silkie male and female... RIR female... buff orp female... serama male and female... black star female and that's about it

8. Georgia Boy 1970

Georgia Boy 1970 Chillin' With My Peeps

Could you post some pics of your birds?

9. itom37

itom37 Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2011
    I'm a geneticist, not a chicken geneticist, but ANY dominant single-gene trait can be lost from 100% homozygous in 2 out crossings.

A polygenetic trait is more complicated and depends on the specific trait, but you can lose it quickly as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by