1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Genetics in Golden Laced Wyandottes for coughing?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by tadpole98, Feb 5, 2013.

1. tadpole98

tadpole98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Missouri
    I bought some gold laced wyandottes that are about a year now, maybe older. But out of all the chickens i have, these 5 are the only ones that gasp and choke and cough and sound raspy. I dont get it, is it the genetics in that breed that causes that? none of my other chickens do it.

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    No, it's not the breed. My thought is they're chronic carriers of some respiratory illness. Might post on the diseases section to see if anyone can help you there.

3. tadpole98

Mar 20, 2012
    Missouri
    But then wouldn't everybody have it? I will ask :)

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Not necessarily. They might have had something previously that they're just carriers for but unless they flare up for some reason they're not contagous. Can't really help more as I don't really deal with diseases in my flock, but I have glw and they don't cough, I can't imagine any breed doing that. Why would someone breed for that?

5. tadpole98

Mar 20, 2012
    Missouri
    maybe they didnt breed for that, but they wanted something that came with the coughing? lol i dont know, im not good with genetical stuff[​IMG]

6. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Coughing isn't a genetic trait it's an indicator of disease, just as when you have a cold 7 cough. Susceptibility to disease & disease resistance can be inherited traits however. Your coughing Wyandottes are susceptible to some pathogen present in your environment whereas your other birds are not. As with people, some exposed to a pathogen will become ill while others, also exposed, do not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by