Genetics of Easter Eggers Colors, Can you get red female?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by NoSleepTillBrooklyn, May 12, 2011.

1. NoSleepTillBrooklyn

NoSleepTillBrooklyn Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2011
    I'm hoping there is a bit of a poultry genetics enthusiast on this board to help me with a question. I think I may have purchased a male auracauna mutt/easter egger whichever term you prefer. The bird has a speckled black/white/red/brown/gold a little bit o' everthing in here! No real tail feathers to speak of, which is why I'm suspecting some of the parentage is auracauna. (Please forgive my spelling if it's incorrect.) The bird is now 10 weeks or so, a bit of comb growing, looks pink with a "row of 3" showing. My questions are this: Is the presence of red in the coloring faintly reliable in sexing an easter egger? Folks on the "Breed/Gender" Forum seem to believe so emphatically that I have to wonder if this isn't folklore, but something more factual. A friend of mine was quick to point out, if you don't know the parents, then it's possible to inherit red on a female. Then I began to wonder, perhaps it's like orange tabby in cats, the likelihood of an orange tabby female is quite small.

So is there any credence to the "red is a roo" camp of thought in easter eggers?

How about the "3 in a row, it's gonna crow" rule with regard to the comb? I would post pictures, but it's darn near impossible to get a picture of this bird! It's quick!!!

Thanks for your input!

2. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    Here is a definate Araucana pullet. The roo in with her thinks she is breedable, plus she is 4 months, not crowing, no comb or wattles. Red speckles all over.

[​IMG]

The roo in the pick on the ground is same age as she is. Everyone has said the red hen is a roo, but I firmly believe different.
    [​IMG]

When she lays an egg I will have final confirmation.

Lanae

3. NoSleepTillBrooklyn

Mar 17, 2011
    That speckly coloring is almost exactly what I have. Except I think I have more comb on mine. [​IMG]

4. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Females inherit the silver allele or gold allele from the father. Females con only inherit one allele at the silver locus. So females are silver or gold not both. Red color can be inherited from the father or mother.

You can sex a chick according to color if a person does a sex linked cross. In your case, you can not sex the chick according to color- the genetics of the parents are not known.

Read the following.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261208

Tim

5. NoSleepTillBrooklyn

Mar 17, 2011
    Thanks Tim! This appeals to my inner scientist!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by