Genetics of light blue?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Meara, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Meara

Meara Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Midwest
    Can anyone explain to me how light blue differs genetically from "regular" Andalusian blue? I'm thinking about birds that are blue without lacing and so light in color that they almost seem lavender even though they are not. And how can one be sure that such a light blue isn't lavender if you don't know the genetic history of the bird?

2. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    the expression of eumelanin(black colored feathers) diluters will very with the lack of pressence of melanizers(Melanotic, charcoil, Pg, recessive black) this is true for Blue(Bl/bl+ and Bl/Bl) Dun(I^D/i+ and I^D/I^D) Choc(recessive chocolate, but to a lesser degree) lavender(also to a lesser degree)..

so what is the best rout to a very pale light blue? the best blues are based on Silver(sex link dominant over gold s+) E(extended black) only, Extended black as ER is gonna need a little extra help from melanizers to make it a self black bird(with Bl to diluting it to blue). you need a bird that lacks Melanotic(Blue Cant Dilute Melanotic on itself, heck even Splash Bl/Bl birds can show lots of dark pyle sones due to Melanotic), you also need a bird that lacks Pg(pattern gene, responsible for the faint lacing on blue birds)

so a geneticaly light blue bird is going to be E/E S/S B/bl+ and that´s it(the rest of other genes will be wildtype like pg+ ml+ )

here is a very light blue rooster(andalusian blue lacking Ml(melanotic) and Pg(pattern gene) )
    [​IMG]

here is the difference if a Pg bird and a bird of the same breed(orps) lacking Pg(not lace)

a bird showing Pg
    [​IMG]

same breed(Orp bantam) no Pg(pg+)
    [​IMG]

if you want to read more on the difference of Blue and lavender you want to read thru this link
    http://www.the-coop.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=94238

3. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by