Genetics of spangling and lacing for dummies

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hallerlake, Sep 13, 2011.

1. hallerlake

hallerlake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    If someone could explain the genetics of spangling and lacing, including dominance and gender linkage if any, in simple terms, I would be forever grateful.

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Lacing is Co/Co, Ml/Ml, Pg/Pg - it can appear on two different E locus: e^b (partridge) and E^R (crowwing, birchen, brown-red)

On E^R it also requires Db/Db (darkbrown) in order for the lacing to actually show up.

Spangling is the same, however, there's another gene in play that someone else would better describe.

There's no gender linkage/sex linkage.

All genes are dominant.

3. phasianidae

phasianidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    Quote:Spangling on E^R is is co+/co+, Db/Db, Pg/Pg, Ml/Ml.

ETA: I am not positive but I think spangling on e^b is caused by the same genes as spangling on E^R.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  4. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:Lacing is also possible on Wheaten..

Quote:Spangling on Er is Db/Db, Ml/Ml. Pg/Pg, no other gene at play

Quote:Correct, but there is a linkage of about 10 cM that link Db-Ml-Pg preventing them to segregate independently

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Well, like I said. [​IMG] Not a spangling expert.

I believe Spangling would work on Wheaten though, but lacing? I'd like to see that, personally. I've got some Wheaties with spangling, but not lacing. The best is a sort of double-laced, smudged effect that doesn't quite breed true.

6. hallerlake

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    I have some Brabanters that should have spangling, but have lacing instead. I guess i just need to hatch and cull to get good spangling.

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:Where'd you get them from? You'd be surprised how many hatchery based stock are actually just poor quality Polish. . .

if yours aren't hatchery based, I'm sorry, I just mean to point out the fact that they are often indeed Polish with poor lacing and/or spangling and small crests

8. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    I'd like to see lacing on wheatens too? Some birds involved in my laced projects are suspected to have eWh. Decent lacing is very much a challenge in these, especially ER/?eWh?.

9. hallerlake

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    Quote:Where'd you get them from? You'd be surprised how many hatchery based stock are actually just poor quality Polish. . .

if yours aren't hatchery based, I'm sorry, I just mean to point out the fact that they are often indeed Polish with poor lacing and/or spangling and small crests

I got them from breeder in Texas. She got them from Ideal about ten years ago.

10. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    Quote:You are having a problem with lacing in Birchen? I have two pullets that are finely laced throughout thier body with the exception of wing and tail primaries. they are young and soon to be mated back to thier father. Are you working LF or Bantam?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by