1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Genetics question about hatching crossed breeds.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by cupman, Dec 14, 2011.

1. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I have a few more chickens I can add to my flock but not a ton. I planning on setting 10 eggs at once and doing hatches until I have 10 more females and maybe keep a rooster I like. Well here is my situation. I have a barred rock rooster and I can't decide which hens to breed him with for the coolest results. I will most likely try all different types but I did have a couple questions first.

1) If I breed my BR rooster with my EE hens will the hatching eggs possess the same traits as regular EEs? (green eggs, scruffy beards) or will it show more signs of the barred rock?

2) Are there any notable breeds BR males can mate with to get sex-linked chicks?

I am really new to this, have an incubator and read about it but never done my own hatches. I am also open to suggestions about which breeds you would cross a BR rooster with for neatest looking hens.

2. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

Here are some pictures of two of my rooster with a BR dad and an EE mom to give you an idea what they look like, they do have beards but my hens had pulled them off at the time of these pictures:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I know breeding most (not all) other colors over BR hens can give you sex-links but I can't think of any with a BR rooster.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  3. BBrock

BBrock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    cairo ga.
    The genetics of cross breeding you will never know with EEs because there already mixed chicken maybe you will get beards and muffs maybe not.

4. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    The hen needs to possess the silver gene and the rooster can vary but needs the red gene or so I am told. A RIR to a silver gene hen will produce sexlinked. I am sure someone will post a link for you.

5. pastorwalt

pastorwalt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    as I understand it...
    If you were breeding a non barred rooster to Barred Rock hens you would get black sexlinks
    the roosters would be barred- the hens black with possible leakage depending on who dad was
    A pure Barred Rock rooster's babies will all be colored like dad.
    unless you breed him to a dominant white like a white leghorn
    You could use your rooster's daughters to produce sexlinked offspring
    if you find them a non barred mate
    Walt

6. pastorwalt

pastorwalt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
  7. RAREROO

RAREROO Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:You cannot get sexlinks from a BR rooster.

8. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Hey thanks everyone, I think I found a good source on genetics. I will probably wait until at least Spring before I try and hatch a new set. I'll be sure to check beck then

9. Ducks and Banny hens

Ducks and Banny hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    On a little Farm.
    Quote:X2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by