genetics question about olive eggers

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by browning6, Feb 20, 2013.

1. browning6

browning6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Winton, California
    If the roo is a barred rock and the mother a EE or Americuana, will the chicks lay green or brown eggs? I heard that the blue egg gene is on the roo side and the roo must be the blue side of the cross. Is this true?
    I have about 150 eggs in the incubator and I am already thinking about what color their eggs are going to be. Talk about counting your chickens before they hatch. I am counting their unlaid eggs before they hatch. Breeding chickens is like a illness. a really good illness.

2. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    I hatched a BR over EE chick and she lays green eggs :)

I think it's just the luck of the draw - sometimes. It goes with the pea comb is what most people on here say.

3. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    see if any of the hens have a pea comb. if they do. you have 95 to 96% chances they ill lay green eggs

also could you post pics of the EE eggs PLEASE? I´m doing a genetic research and this will help me alot. Thanks

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  4. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    There are two possibilities; every offspring hen will produce a green egg or some will produce a green egg while the others will produce a brown egg. The shade of green and brown can vary and is dependent upon the genetics of the rooster and hen. It is also possible ( with a very low probability) than a few may lay a blue egg or a white egg.

No, your statement is not true. The blue egg gene can be carried by the rooster or the hen. Both rooster and hen contribute equally ( there is a difference in sex linked traits) to the genetic makeup of the offspring. A rooster can carry the blue egg shell gene and his offspring can inherit the blue egg shell gene from him and his daughters will potentially produce blue eggs. The same is true for the hen; she can contribute a blue egg gene to her daughters. A hen can carry up to two blue egg genes or can carry only one blue egg gene and produce blue eggs. If she only carries one blue egg gene and she is crossed with a rooster that does not carry the blue egg gene- about half of the offspring will potentially lay a blue egg; the other half will produce a brown or a white egg depending on the genes found in the rooster and hen.

As others have mentioned, the pea comb gene is closely liked to the blue egg shell gene. If two genes are closely linked together on a chromosome, they are usually inherited together. In this case it is safe to assume the blue gene and the pea gene are inherited together ( 5-2 % of the time they are not: this only occurs in the offspring of a parent bird that is hybrid for blue egg shell and white egg shell and pea comb/single comb). If your hen carries two blue egg shell genes, then the chances are very good that every one of the female offspring will produce some variation of a green egg. It is genetically possible for the offspring to lay a blue egg; but not probable. This could happen if the barred rock rooster hatched from a tinted egg.

Tim

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  5. browning6

browning6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Winton, California
    [​IMG]

this is an egg out of one of my hens. I also have a EE hen that lays a greener egg. but it is not the real dark olive color.

6. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    could you post a pic of your EE green egg? and you can take it from a distance. it does not need to be a close up

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by