Genetics question! Blue Partridge Brahma Rooster hybrids

grimes1213

In the Brooder
Feb 20, 2017
Central PA
Hi! I am a first year backyard chicken owner.. I have a flock of 12, 1 rooster and 11 hens. My rooster was of course, a mistake lol, but we love him, he's beautiful and gentle (so far), he is my profile picture. He is a blue partridge brahma from a local lady who breeds them. My son named him "blue", not because of his coloring but because of Jurassic World, but it works! Lol!

I am planning on incubating a few eggs this Spring, just as a project for my kids.. will be giving them to friends of mine, etc. I know they will be "mutts" so to speak, but I am just wondering if I will get any cool hybrids, and I know absolutely nothing about chicken genetics, so I need help! Here is a list of my 11 hens he will be crossed with:

1) blue partridge brahma hen

2) light brahma hen (hatchery stock though, she's not nearly as large as my other brahma hen, you can tell the difference!)

3) & 4) hatchery barred rocks from local hardware store

5) & 6) cream leg bars from local breeder

7) welsummer hen (hatchery stock)

8) partridge rock (haterchy stock)

9) easter egger (local breeder)

10) easter egger bantam (local breeder) but lays a brown egg and has no muffs, etc.. just a small black chicken

11) golden cuckoo maran (hatchery stock)

I tried that genetic website, kipplejungle or whatever it is.. but I didn't have the know-how to enter in their genetic codes. I just want to know if any of these crosses will be unique / interesting. Will any of them be sex-able by appearance? I am pretty sure they won't, because Brahmas are not, but I am just wondering :) Also, I am planning on just giving them away to friends (not charging), but does anyone think I should charge for any of the crosses?

Thank you so much!

(I can try to figure out how to post pictures if anyone wants to see pictures of the hens, etc.)

I’m not sure how to enter some of that either, but I can help some.

blue partridge brahma hen – Blue, Black, and Splash partridge chicks. No sex links.

2) light brahma hen (hatchery stock though, she's not nearly as large as my other brahma hen, you can tell the difference!) – Red sex links. Some should have blue tails and markings, some black tails and markings.

3) & 4) hatchery barred rocks from local hardware store – Black sex links, some black and some blue.

5) & 6) cream leg bars from local breeder – I don’t know enough about cream legbars to be sure about some things, but the males will be barred, the females will not. Not sure what they will look like.

7) welsummer hen (hatchery stock) – Just red chicks. Blue or black markings.

8) partridge rock (haterchy stock) – Blue and black partridge

9) easter egger (local breeder) – No idea what the EE looks like so no idea.

10) easter egger bantam (local breeder) but lays a brown egg and has no muffs, etc.. just a small black chicken – probably a small black or blue chicken

11) golden cuckoo maran (hatchery stock) – not exactly sure what a gold cuckoo looks like but the chicks will be black sex links. I don’t know if you will be able to see the spot on the heads of the males, but males will be barred and females will not. Some will be blue, some black.

The way that blue gene works, when you cross your rooster with a hen that is not Splash or Blue, about half the feathers that would normally be black will be black, but half will be blue. That gene only modifies black feathers so when I say blue or black, I’m only talking about any normally black feathers. It will not affect red feathers.

I’m not sure how to enter some of that either, but I can help some.

blue partridge brahma hen – Blue, Black, and Splash partridge chicks. No sex links.

2) light brahma hen (hatchery stock though, she's not nearly as large as my other brahma hen, you can tell the difference!) – Red sex links. Some should have blue tails and markings, some black tails and markings.

3) & 4) hatchery barred rocks from local hardware store – Black sex links, some black and some blue.

5) & 6) cream leg bars from local breeder – I don’t know enough about cream legbars to be sure about some things, but the males will be barred, the females will not. Not sure what they will look like.

7) welsummer hen (hatchery stock) – Just red chicks. Blue or black markings.

8) partridge rock (haterchy stock) – Blue and black partridge

9) easter egger (local breeder) – No idea what the EE looks like so no idea.

10) easter egger bantam (local breeder) but lays a brown egg and has no muffs, etc.. just a small black chicken – probably a small black or blue chicken

11) golden cuckoo maran (hatchery stock) – not exactly sure what a gold cuckoo looks like but the chicks will be black sex links. I don’t know if you will be able to see the spot on the heads of the males, but males will be barred and females will not. Some will be blue, some black.

The way that blue gene works, when you cross your rooster with a hen that is not Splash or Blue, about half the feathers that would normally be black will be black, but half will be blue. That gene only modifies black feathers so when I say blue or black, I’m only talking about any normally black feathers. It will not affect red feathers.

Hoping you can help with some of our crosses as well.
Any sex links?
Cuckoo Marans rooster
Crossed with barred rock hens.
Crossed with Mottled Java hen.
Crossed with Polish splash hen.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom