Genetics Question : lavender columbian x black = yellow chicks?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by keesmom, Jun 28, 2010.

1. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    I crossed my Coronation Sussex roo with 3 black faverolles hens. I hatched out the first F1s yesterday. Three of the chicks are black, like I expected, but 2 are yellow. One has a few black dots on it's head. Does this mean at least one of my black hens is recessive for wheaten? How will these chicks feather out?

2. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Ahhhh- interesting! Maybe one of the hens is recessive for salmon? I occasionally get a wheaten ameraucana chick that is that buff-yellow color with a black dot on it's head. They feather out just like regular wheatens/blue wheatens. I have no idea how the coronation comes into play though. [​IMG]

3. keesmom

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Recessive for wheaten (salmon) seems to be the only explanation. Now I'm just wondering how they will feather out.

4. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Do you know which hen's eggs they were?

Do the chicks have the beards & feathered legs? I'm going to do some fav crosses in the future and hope they pass on the beards [​IMG] I'll be intersted to see what kind of size/shape they get with the sussex having sired them.

5. keesmom

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    I know what color egg the last yellow chick came from. It's just a matter of figuring out which hen produces that egg. They all lay brown eggs but different tints.

All of them have feathered legs. Half have 5 toes, the others have 4. They're only a day or 2 old so I'm not positive on muffs yet but it looks like some will have them. Now I have to figure out what to do with the wheaten chicks. I'm not sure if they'll help, hinder, or have no effect on my project (columbian/lav columbian faverolles).

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by