Genetics Question... my australorp cock over a white rock hen produces

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by High Roost Ranch, Oct 15, 2011.

1. High Roost Ranch

High Roost Ranch The Chicken Whisperer

In a moment of weakness, I hatched out some eggs from my BLACK australorp cock and my WHITE rock hen (too many eating eggs meant I wanted to try and hatch some). From those that hatched, there are either barred chicks and black chicks. Using a genetics calculator, according to what the breeds should be, is not giving me barred chicks in the result. These are just hatchery production birds. So I am trying to recall if the male chicks are barred in a sex-linked cross and then secondly wondering (other than the obvious that my birds are not pure) if this is a reliable sex-linking cross and WHY this resulted in barred chicks being produced.

Has anyone else crossed a black australorp male with a white plymouth rock hen, and if so, what did you get as a result?

Are these barred chicks that I have here growing out cockerels? They are about 3 weeks old now.

Thanks for your help!!!!

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Yep, your White Rock hens are hiding some barring behind the white. So yes, your barred chicks are boys.

3. pastorwalt

pastorwalt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    Many years ago I had a mixed flock or white rocks and austra X whites
    (Austra X Whites are half Australorp)
    I hatched some barred chicks.
    I suspect that most if not all white rocks are genetically barred.
    on the chicken calculator, start with the barred hen then change C+C+ to cc
    I am guessing, but I think that's what you've got and I think
    the barred chicks will be male and the black ones female
    Walt

4. High Roost Ranch

High Roost Ranch The Chicken Whisperer

Thanks to both of you. I was wondering what was going on and why, glad to hear my suspicions aren't totally off based. I guess this could be a good thing producing sex linked chicks-no long waits involved.

[​IMG]

5. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    One thing to remember white is not a color ,but absent of color. The white just mask the colors, so under the white the bird will be another color, i also think most white rocks can from barred rock.(so are really barred rock under the white). If the white rock came from like plymouth partridge rock , then that what the color is hiden by the white.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  6. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Did a search on this very question and am finding a different result than is stated...all my chicks from two different hatches from a WR male over a BA female have been barred and they were all pullets(three pullets in one hatch and 12 in another...all females). So, what's the real skinny on this? Not a sex link thing I'm thinking.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I think cause you had the barred male, not the barred female. Going on the theory that the dominant white in the white Rock often masks barring, you basically have a barred rooster over a black hen, so if he's homozygous barred you'll get all barred offspring, regardless of gender. If he's heterozygous, you'll get half barred offspring regardless of gender. The OP in this thread had the reverse of your mating, so basically a black rooster over a barred hen, giving sex linked offspring. Sex linkage with barring depends on the female parent being barred, you can't switch.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by