Genetics question! Pure breed X Hybrid?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by KrisLW, Feb 16, 2013.

1. KrisLW

KrisLW Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Hi,

Does anyone know what I am likely to get if i breed a male Black Minorca with female Columbian Blacktails please? The Columbian Blacktails are hybrids (RIR X Light Sussex).

Thanks for any help.

KrisLW

2. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Columbian has little effect if any on an Extended Black birds. but some believe black minorcas to be Birchen at the e locus(ER) but still Co has little effect on them. the chicks will be all black at hatch(impossible to sex using gold/silver method) and when adults will most likely look nearly black or have a Crow wing pattern like Birchen birds and some under melanized extended black birds I have seen. whats a crow wing pattern? a mostly black bird showing gold feathers on the hackles and/Or on the saddles. with black wing bay(secondaries)

this is how an "undermelanized" Extended black bird looks like(not entirely black). you could call this a "Crow wing" patter
    [​IMG]

another Crow Wing pattern bird
    [​IMG]

could these birds(on the pics) be actually Under melanized Extended Black birds(E) or over melanized ER birchen birds its a matter of debate on this thread(which I open to genetic debate) http://www.the-coop.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=106407&page=1

the hens should look like ER birds or entirely black. I have had ER hens which are completely melanized(ER with extra melanizers)

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  3. KrisLW

KrisLW Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Wow Nicalandia thank you for that response! That's really helpful and so informative!

On another note, do you know whether Black Minorca chicks can be wing-feather sexed at 1-3 days? They're fairly obvious by 3 weeks of age just by looking at their combs! Also weight gain differences seem fairly striking too.

Thanks

Krislw

4. nicalandia

Jul 16, 2009
    no problem here check this diagram
    [​IMG]

as to feather sexing Black minorcas? am good at genetics, not into specific breeds.

5. Henk69

Henk69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    Is it called wing "bay" because of the color?

6. nicalandia

Jul 16, 2009
    I have no idea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by