Genetics Question Re: Chick Sex Trait

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Coopa Cabana, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Coopa Cabana

Coopa Cabana My Coop Runneth Over . . .

Aug 30, 2009
    Colorado
    My Coop
    I know that the sex of the chicks is determined by the mother, and it appears that I have a hen that has a propensity for throwing female chicks (Yea!! [​IMG] ) My question is this: Does that propensity to throw female chicks pass on to the new female chicks?

2. soap&eggs

soap&eggs Songster

Jul 22, 2010
    i have always heard - belived that it is the male* in all man or beast that * determines the sex of offspring... granted ive been known to be wrong many many times before !!! but if hens is what you are getting i would take a look at the rooster. i had a beautiful rooster in one flock pen. 99 percent of chicks hatched were roosters. i replaced him..now percentage is 50-50.

3. Coopa Cabana

Coopa Cabana My Coop Runneth Over . . .

Aug 30, 2009
    Colorado
    My Coop
    soap&eggs :

i have always heard - belived that it is the male* in all man or beast that * determines the sex of offspring... granted ive been known to be wrong many many times before !!! but if hens is what you are getting i would take a look at the rooster. i had a beautiful rooster in one flock pen. 99 percent of chicks hatched were roosters. i replaced him..now percentage is 50-50.

Chickens are different from humans and most other mammals. It is definitely the female that determines the sex of the chicks. Just wondering if the female chicks from a hen that throws an unusually high percentage of females will also throw a high percentage of females.​

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Yes, in birds, the female determines the sex of the chick, but not all daughters of the female-producing hen will be hen-producers, I'd think. My Ivy always threw females, but her daughter, Fern, throws about equal numbers of male and female.

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I had a Salmon Faverolle hen that only gave me roo chicks.

I rehomed her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by