Genetics Question: The "Dark" Coloration

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Gresh, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Gresh

Gresh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    North Carolina
    Hey, all! I was just wondering if any of you could please give me information on the Dark coloration in chickens (like Dark Cornish, Dark Asil, etc.). Specifically, I am wanting to know what color crossed with what color produces Dark, but any other bits of info on this color would be greatly appreciated!

Also, I seem to have noticed that Oriental breeds (e.g. Shamo, Asil) and breeds with Oriental ancestry (e.g. Cornish) are the only birds I've heard of that have the Dark coloration. Is there a connection between the Dark color and Oriental breeds, or can non-Oriental breeds also have the Dark color?

Thanks! [​IMG]

2. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    I am pretty sure the 'dark' coloration is just double laced gold. Barnvelders have the same color pattern.

3. Gresh

Jul 9, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:What do you mean by "double-laced gold"? True, the females of the Dark coloration do look a good deal like darker-colored gold-laced birds, but the males don't have a bit of lacing on them, unlike, say, a Golden-Laced Wyandotte roo would. [​IMG]

4. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    Double lacing is right between single lacing and pencilled like the dark brahmas/partridge color. I think the 'dark' color may also have mahogany. When you look at pencilled cocks they have solid black breasts.

5. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    It is partridge but in game especially oriental is reffered to as dark, since most oriental game are wheaton based however the few "Dark" are partridge.
    Note the "Dark" Brahma is silver partridge, Dark Cornish is double laced Pratridge (Gold Based), where as Shamo Silver Duckwing is actually a silver wheaton, names are easy to change e-locus bases are evidenced by the females when the males appear to be partridge or BB red, etc. the difference is the hens appearance.

6. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Dark Cornish and other dark games are the following

recessive wheaten ey/ ey, melanotic linked with pattern, Ml-Pg/Ml-Pg, gold s+/s+ or s+/_w, charcoal Cha/Cha

The charcoal and melanotic are both melanizers so you get a darker bird- also the recessive wheaten is a darker wheaten.

Barnevelder are normally- Brown eb/eb, melanotic linked with pattern, Ml-Pg/Ml-Pg and carry gold

Wyandottes (single laced) Brown eb/eb, columbian Co/Co, melanotic linked with pattern, Ml-Pg/Ml-Pg and carry gold or silver

Dark Brahma-Brown eb/eb and pattern Pg and carry silver

Tim

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  7. Gresh

Jul 9, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:Thanks....but I don't understand a lot of that [​IMG] I'm not a genetics person. Basically, I want to know what colors I should cross to get the Dark game coloration. However, I do appreciate your genetics info and would love to see more of it--but with an interpretation [​IMG]

8. Gresh

Jul 9, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:Thanks for the info: I was wondering if Dark was a partridge variation. So what colors do you cross to get Oriental Dark?

9. Gresh

Jul 9, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:Yeah, now that you mention it, I recall seeing pictures of pencilled Brahma cocks, and they had no lacing or pencilling on their breasts. Mahogany definitely seems like it would be apart of the Oriental Dark coloration.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by