1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Genetics question......

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the Standard o' started by bauerdog, Jul 1, 2016.

1. bauerdog

bauerdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2012
    central jersey
    I am curious about the final feather color of chicks from a specific combo. I had a blue Marans rooster with gold leakage. He came from a blue cuckoo roo over a blue marans. He covered a sapphire hen (crested cream legbar over a white leghorn). I let a broody hatch out 2 of her eggs. The first chick hatched out black with a very sharp head spot and the Marans fluff on the legs. Does this indicate a sexable chick? Both parents probably have a cuckoo gene......would a head spot mean a male or female? And should I expect a cuckoo coloration?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
  2. Wappoke

Wappoke Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2015
    this is not a true sex linked cross because you can not sex all the chicks with any degree of accuracy. The head spot means the bird is carrying the barring gene and if I am interpreting your descriptions correctly, the chick is a male.

My answer is based upon the following, the blue marans is not carrying barring (if he did he would be blue barred) and the sapphire hen inherited a sex linked barring gene from the legbar rooster (the legbar was homozygous for sex linked barring)

the saphire hen is carrying dominant white- some of the chicks will be white or white with black spots, you can not sex the white chicks with a reasonable degree of accuracy

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
  3. bauerdog

Sep 6, 2012
    central jersey
    [​IMG]
    Hmmmmmm. Does this look like 2 males then?

4. Wappoke

Wappoke Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2015
    My guess would be; the one on the left appears to be a male, the one on the right could be a male or female. Some of the male chicks will receive two barring genes and the others will inherit one barring gene. The females- some will inherit a barring gene and some will be non-barred.

Sexing chicks by the size and shape of the head spot on a dark ground color is an inaccurate way of sexing chicks- around 75% in a normal barred rock cross. In your cross ( the chicks that do not have white down), the probability of hatching a male chick with a head spot is greater than hatching a female chick with a head spot. All the males will have a head spot and only half of the females will have a head spot.

If you hatched out a large number of chicks some of the chicks would be white or white with black spots.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  5. bauerdog

Sep 6, 2012
    central jersey
    These were the only two. I was only placating a broody. I wound up with a double barred male and a single barred female.

6. bauerdog

Sep 6, 2012
    central jersey
    Thank you for the great explanation. Genetics is very interesting, but overwhelming to sort out on your own without help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by