Genetics Question?

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by ICanSpeakChicken, Jan 16, 2011.

1. ICanSpeakChicken

ICanSpeakChicken Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Is it possible to have a IB split pied bird?

And if so what are the possible colour outcomes for the following:

IB split pied x IB split pied

IB split pied x IB split white

IB split pied x white

Many thanks

2. 6littlechickies

6littlechickies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Burton, OH
    Colors would still be blue or white. These are patterns you are looking at. It is possible to have split pied, I have a couple. Out of the breeding, you would get blues, dark pied, pied, whites, and splits. Different %'s of each. All would be blue as far as color is concerned and white(absence of color).

3. ICanSpeakChicken

Nov 8, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Thankyou 6littlechickies for that

just another question, is it possible to have an IB that is split both white and pied?

4. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    are their primary flight feathers on the wings white?

5. ICanSpeakChicken

Nov 8, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Hi BBB

Im just learning all about peafowl before I build my pens later in the year and purchase foundation stock.

I asked the question as a hypothetical wondering if it was possible for an IB to be split both pied and white??

6. DMFarm

DMFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Winona Tx
    Quote:Yes a bird can be split to pied and white. A bird that is split to pied only will show no white at all. All birds that has white flight is split to white and depending on what they came out of could also be split pied.

7. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    Quote:Oh okay, I thought you may have had one already, we could have verified or eliminated the white thing like Doug said there for you if you did.

But yep, they can be splits for those together, really any combo for that matter, just out side of the white, it's hard to know for sure to what without proper reconrds of their breeding being kept.

8. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Quote:Yep, that would be the "loud pieds"- the ones with patches of white all over the body. It's the reason why loud pieds cannot breed true. They're all split for both pied and white. Loud pied x loud pied= 1/4 white, 1/2 loud pied and 1/4 pure pied(called 'dark pied in the peafowl hobby but this name is sort of used inconsistently..).

Pure pieds usually are normal colored with a little white on wing tips/chin. visually similar to split whites.

For your list, you will get loud pieds in all in varying percentages, except for split pied x split pied- won't get any loud pieds.. 1/2 offspring split pied, 1/4 'pure' blue(no pied at all) and pure pied.

9. ICanSpeakChicken

Nov 8, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Thankyou everyone for your help [​IMG]

it gives me an idea as to what colours I will start with and what the possible outcomes may be

10. bemba

bemba Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Mary Valley QLD.
    Well what about my 2 peahens..... they are normal with 3 0r 4 white feathers in amongst the green neck feathers?? what would that be ... if anything?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by