Genetics question.

Bryam

Songster
11 Years
Aug 19, 2008
I have some beautiful show quality silkie hens one is pure white and the other is a grey partridge, with a roaster that was supposed to be a pure painted silkie, but he turned out to be a paint with grey feathers on his head. He is also very tall and he has a very flat tail. I was wondering if hatched their eggs, would they come out having the nice hens features or would they have flaws like the father? I am going to change the roaster, but I guess it is worth it to try and hatch out some of this couples eggs?

Thanks for the info!

Last edited:
What are your goals as far as breeding goes? If you are trying for quality birds you should be penning breeders by variety instead of crossing colors. If you just want interesting colors then there is no harm in incubating eggs from the paint male.

I really want focus on paints. These chicks will carry that gene I guess, but the hens don't carry paint so I guess I will get grey and solid white birds out of the deal? I just didn't like the males blotchy colours, he was very tall too, I guess it is a male characteristic? My hens are short and round. Funny how different they are from each other in terms of body type.

Silkie males should not be tall and lanky. What do you mean by his color was blotchy? Do you have a picture?

If you want to focus on paints then I would suggest you concentrate on finding a nice paint pair or trio. You may be able to use your white hen in the breeding but I would leave out the grey. It has been quite a while since I looked into the genetics of paints but I know at one time blacks and sometimes whites were used to improve type and possibly to improve on the spottiness. Not sure how that stands now.

You could read up on this thread

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/429754/the-american-paint-silkie

I am sure there are others too. You may also want to join the ABA and get a copy of the silkie SOP.

He was taller than the hens and his crest was not as fluffy. Yup, i am at a loss as what to do next. I just wonder when you cross a show quakity bird with an average bird, who will the chicks take after?

Last edited:
You won't know unless you try. Some may turn out well, others not so much. Most offspring of even the best parents do not turn out to be SQ, or even breeder quality. As long as you have a plan for the chicks there is no harm in incubating the eggs to see what you get.

Very true!! I will collect 6 or so and see what I get!

He was taller than the hens and his crest was not as fluffy. Yup, i am at a loss as what to do next. I just wonder when you cross a show quakity bird with an average bird, who will the chicks take after?

You're just bringing down the quality of the better stock by breeding to a lesser animal. If you're serious about breeding, cull the lesser animal (the rooster, in this case) and obtain a better quality animal. You'll set yourself back generations by bringing in inferior blood.

Back
Top Bottom