Genetics question..

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jwells84, Mar 12, 2015.

1. jwells84

jwells84 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2013
    In my flock I have 8 white leghorns, a red naked neck , and a Lavender oprtington cross. My rooster is a Naked Neck. I'm incubating eggs, have 18 going right now.. my question is will the chicks(hens) that hatch from the white leghorn eggs lay white or brown eggs when they come of age? Where is a good place to find out more of chicken genetics? Thanks

2. Mr King

Mr King Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2015
    South Texas
    I'm not familiar with naked neck eggs color but most likely they will lay very light brown, very close to white egg shell.
    What's exactly what your looking for with genetics?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  3. jwells84

jwells84 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2013
    my Naked Neck hen lays light brown egg I'm trying to breed for the NN gene, for the featherless necks, which from what I've read is dominant so all chicks hatched from my Naked Neck rooster will be Naked neck. but I was also hoping for chickens that will produce a brown or light brown egg. as that is what most people around where I live look for and want when they buy farm fresh eggs.

4. Mr King

Mr King Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2015
    South Texas
    Ok try this: get the best one for your criteria of the males from leghorn x Neked Neck, and cross this one with your naked neck hen. You will have 3/4 neked neck 1/4 leghorn ; this should be better layers that just having pure necked neck. And they should be pretty much looking like a naked neck. That's a good way to start.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by