Genetics questions, help needed please

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP' started by candira, Jan 31, 2017.

1. candira

candira Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2015
    Lexington, Texas
    Hi, I have read several things about the genetics with blue laced red wyandottes but still not sure. I'm just hoping someone can give me a quick answer to my question. I have a BLR Wyandotte rooster with my silver laced and golden laced wyandotte hens. I am wondering if crossing the GL hen with my BLR will result in at least some percentage of BLR chicks. And what will happen by crossing the SL hen with the BLR roo??? I will post a picture of one of my GL hens and my roo. Please if anyone can answer this, I would love to know. Thanks!!! Oh and just for my own curiosity, I'm not showing birds or anything like that. Thanks again!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    BLR x Gold Laced = 50% BLR (blue patterned red laced), 50% Black patterned red Laced

BLR x Silver Laced = males blue patterned gold laced or black patterned gold laced, females BLR or red patterned black laced

According to the chicken genetics calculator...

3. candira

Apr 13, 2015
    Lexington, Texas
    That would be wonderful!!! Thanks so much!

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Actually, the Silver Laced hens will produce sexlinks. Males will be Silver Laced and develop red leakage as they mature, about 50% will also have blue lacing. The females will be gold/red laced, about 50% will have blue lacing.
    You may not get the proper dark red in the first generation.

5. candira

Apr 13, 2015
    Lexington, Texas
    Oh, ok thank you. That makes sense.... but the BLRW roo crossed with my GLW hens will have the darker red color??

6. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Maybe.

7. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Yes, sex links when crossed to Silver Laced hens, The F1 males will be genetically golden(S/s+) heterozygous Silver not pure silver, the red leakage is due to the s+ and red enhances, the females will be sex linked gold(s+/-).

8. nicalandia

Jul 16, 2009
    This is a black laced “Golden”(S/s+) rooster from a similar cross.[​IMG]

9. nicalandia

Jul 16, 2009
    If you cross a Silver laced rooster with a Blue Laced Red hens instead you may end up with a Blue laced silver hen and some may show some gold leakage due to the red enhancers found on the BLR[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. candira

Apr 13, 2015
    Lexington, Texas
    Beautiful!! Thanks for the info! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by