Genetics questions

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BCB, May 23, 2010.

1. BCB

BCB Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2008
    SW Missouri
    Ok, I'm trying to get the hang of Chicken genetics. I'd appreciate it is someone could clear up a few of the questions I have on the Subject.

Patterns aren't colors, right?

A pattern is something like a mottled, columbian, or Partridge (Wildtype?) (Overo, Tobiano in horses)

White is a cover up gene? (Like Grey in Horses, G/g and GG = Grey Horse. W/W and Ww = white chicken)

Lavender needs two copies to be expressed and works as a dilution gene? (Lav/Lav=Lavender expression like CrCr=Cremello/perlino horse)

Why does Black x White = blue?

Am I corrrect in assuming that you need to know the genotype of a white bird before you can figure out what the color of the chicks will be?

Also, hypothetical matings...
    Partridge x Black=what?

RedxBlack=what?

thanks for any help!

Last edited: May 23, 2010
  2. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    They are 2 white genes-Rececive and Dominant.Rececive White covers all but need 2 copies,Dominant White covers only black areas so to produse all white bird one will need Silver gene too. You are right with lavender. To make blue bird one need Blue Gene.Some think that Blue Gene mutation oqure after many generation of breeding(inbreeding) black and white birds but stil this is new gene(diferent) and you can not make blue bird from simple mixing black and white birds. Partrige and black-mostly black bird with golden leak.Red and black-mostly black bird with red leak.Some can be pure black birds in both crosses

3. Henk69

Henk69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    I use the word "pattern" in the chicken calculator. Some use the word "markings".
    Don't know of a better alternative... [​IMG]

The Cremello gene in horses is an incomplete dominant gene. Lavender is a recessive gene.

Only black * splash gives blue. Splash can look like the other whites.

Recessive white can cover any genotype but most of the times there is a black bird underneath.
    In silkies often a partridge (e^b based).
    Depends on how the color white was made.
    To make a white version I would start with the best typed color of a breed.
    Those genes could hang in there, but the original white donor also contributes.

4. jarcoo0153

jarcoo0153 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Levelland, Texas
    What about a Red X Buff what happens then?

5. BCB

BCB Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2008
    SW Missouri
    Ok, thanks so much! So, if two colors are mixed, they will more than likely both be expressed? If I have a bird that is Homozygous for Partridge and I breed it to a bird that is Homozygous for black, I'll have a mixed color bird? But I could breed that mixed color bird to a homozygous Partridge or black and get a few showable offspring?How many genes come into play for the phenotype of a Partridge color?

thanks for all of the help!

6. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    Every Partrige bird has 2 copies Pg(partrige gene).When you mix Partrige bird with black bird you can not be sure that black one cary Pg gene.This will make F1 birds to have only one copie Pg.This will more work

7. BCB

BCB Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2008
    SW Missouri
    OK, so the Black gene will cover up one copy of the Partridge Gene? But if it has two copies, both the partridge and the black will be expressed? thanks!

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:Which black?

Partridge requires e^b as well as Pg; penciling does not express on a bird who is E. In other words, a bird who is E/? and Pg/Pg does not express as partridge. However, a bird who is e^b/e^b can be pure black in phenotype if melanizers are added.

9. Henk69

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    Quote:If the buff is just an ordinary goldbased color (no red enhancers and golddiluters) then the offspring should be redder than the buff parent.
    If not:
    Since the golddiluters in buff are thought to be dominant the offspring should be: buff. But probably a redder tint.

10. Henk69

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    Quote:No, the result will look more like the dominant color, in this case black. But the cross ruins it probably... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by