Genetics : Take a guess before hatch : Pics

BlossomSilkies

Crowing
12 Years
Jan 29, 2011
Niles, MI
I have a chick ready to hatch. With this what do you think we will have for color and other traits? Just for fun, take a guess!

Mama: Blue Laced Red Wyandotte

Daddy: White Silkie

Paternal Grandparents: Female White Silkie and Male Partridge Silkie

Last edited:
I have a chick ready to hatch. With this what do you think we will have for color and other traits? Just for fun, take a guess!

Paternal Grandparents: Female White Silkie and Male Partridge Silkie

seems like the silkies you have are based on the dominant white gene(going by what parents look) instead of recessive white gene, or the partridge one could also be hidding recessive white and since the hen is recessive white this boy came out looking all white...

this is how the chick could come out looking like, if the boy is infact dominant white then he is only heterozygous for it, meaning 50% of the chicks will have yellow down at hatch(50% of boys and 50% of girls) and the other 50% will come out looking like partridge

now if the boy is infact recessive white all of the chicks will come out with a partridge down..

Partridge
IMG_1872.jpg

oh and you will produce Sex Links also, girls will have black skin, boys will have yellow skin...AWESOME...! I love silkie crosses, hey keep us updated on this, as I´m doing a research on this matter... thanks

Last edited:
Thank you for replying! I may have a few others from this cross that will hatch soon. I am most excited to hear that I will have sex linked chicks! I can hear the first one that is ready to hatch peeping and pipping inside of its shell so hopefully by tomorrow i will have a picture to share. I will definitely keep you posted on this interesting cross and any other chicks that hatch from these parents.

Thank you for replying! I may have a few others from this cross that will hatch soon. I am most excited to hear that I will have sex linked chicks! .
some years ago I was doing a similar cross(fibromelanotic rooster, not silkie but it had the same gene that makes the silkies black skin) and production type white leghorns, I was planing on introducing the black skin gene and the wild counterpart of the dominant sex linked dermal inhibito Id(id+ is the wildtype) and create a highly productive black skin strain and then use white leghorn females to create sex links that I could sex at hatch.... but some issues that were out of my hand didnt allowed me to finish such a project

Back
Top Bottom