genetics

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by mr300win, Jan 15, 2010.

1. mr300win

mr300win Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2009
    Bladen County NC
    does any one know what would be produced by crossing a crele oegb roo with a black rosecomb hen or a crele oegb rooster with a buff serama hen i know it would be kinda hard to tell but i think im about to have babies because ive had a broody rosecomb hen sitting on a clutch of 8 eggs for a week so i know shes determined to hatch them just wondering what my kids would look like when grown if any one has attempted this and succeded let me know

2. mr300win

Nov 21, 2009
    Bladen County NC
    hope i get lil crele serama looking babies but i dont kknow what the crele and rosecomb would look like

3. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    With the Crele X Black cross, you should get all barred F1s, some may have red leakage from the crele.

With the Crele X Buff Serama, since the Seramas don't have a set color pattern, I'm not sure how much it would vary, but they should be Barred Buff Columbian, that would be if the hen was a pure Buff or Buff Col.

4. mr300win

Nov 21, 2009
    Bladen County NC
    thanks i was hoping to get crele rosecomb or something similar i guess ill just have to wait and see if not i think ill croos the chikcs back to a different crele roo hoping i get a few hens from the clutch and in the longrun hopefully i will have something resembling crele rosecomb the crele is my favorite oegb and rosecombs where my first breed of bantoms so im hoping to make the best of both birds just hope the chicks keep the rosecombs and lobes since im told rosecomb is more dominant the single combs

5. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    depends on your crele... single/ double dose of bar...

single dose, black/ cuckoo offsprings

double dose, all cuckoo.

6. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Quote:Producing a crele rose comb

Cross #1 (hatch 8 or so birds)

crele roo X black rose comb= F1 barred black rose combed offspring

Cross #2 (hatch 20 or more birds)

Crele roo X F1 black barred rose combed offspring = F2 various colors some rose and some single combed + some dark crele rose combed and some crele rose combed
    offspring.

If the barring is clean and does not have black smut;you can now cross the F2 crele rose combed offspring to produce more rose combed birds. 1 in 4 of the offspring will be single combed.

If the birds are not clean barred, then do cross # 3 also.

Cross #3 Hatch 10 or more birds ( do this additional cross to gain body type if needed or clean up smut in barring)

Crele roo X F2 dark crele rose combed offspring or crele rose combed offspring = dark crele and crele rose combed offspring ( some will be single combed)

Tim

7. mr300win

Nov 21, 2009
    Bladen County NC
    thankyou would it affect the hen if i moved her and her nest box to a smaller pen so she could lay in peace shes in with 4 other hens and a roo i wasnt expecting them to go broddy but ever since i have been feeding my girls boiled soybeans every few days i have had a boom in egg production and have so many eggs i cannot keep track . And thank again for the info im hoping for the best

8. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Quote:I would move her just after the sun goes down. Soybeans are 40- 50% protein with about 20% being oil and the rest is carbohydrates. A small amount of the soybeans will go a long way in providing protein for your birds. Birds use about 6 grams of protein per egg. A hens protein intake should be from 16 to 18%. Too much protein, and the bird will burn it to stay warm or just covert it into fat. The oil and carbohydrates in the soy beans are an excellent energy source for the cold winter days.

Just a reminder to others. You have to boil or bake the soy beans to destroy a trypsin inhibitor that is found in the soybeans. Do not feed raw soybeans to your birds. Soy beans also lack the amino acids cystine and methionine which have to come from another source of protein ( fish meal or free ranging- bugs etc.)

Tim

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  9. mr300win

Nov 21, 2009
    Bladen County NC
    is best to soak them over night then boil i feed them soybeans about 2 or 3 times a week they love it they really love them when they are soft and you can mash them with your fingers i decided not to move her but to move the other hens and roo from her pen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by