genetics ?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by miohippus, Sep 28, 2012.

1. miohippus

miohippus Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2010
    [​IMG]
    mom

[​IMG]
    dad

[​IMG]
    chick 1

[​IMG]
    chick 2

my ? is why dose the chick1 have gold feathers arond his neack when oth parents didnt have any gold on them

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Are you sure there isn't another possibility for Dad?

3. miohippus

Sep 23, 2010
    yep, that was the only roo i had

4. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009

thats easy, they are golden(S/s+) the father is sex linked gold and the mother is silver... Db Pg has No effect on Extended black(E) and mottling is recessive thats why they look like Birchen but infact they are E/ER, they are Leaky blacks and are leaking ground color

5. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    You are saying that all the white on dad is mottling--not any silver?

6. nicalandia

Jul 16, 2009
    thats right

7. nicalandia

Jul 16, 2009
    the bird in question(rooster) seems to have what we call, hysterical mottling or overmottling, mottling as you may already know, its not a stable pattern and some birds my only show a few dots and some may look almost white, the bird in question(rooster) is not based on Wildtype/Wheaten or partridge brown, its just Extended black..

Extended black mottled bird showing hysterical mottling
    [​IMG]

8. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    The hysterically mottled birds I have had have mostly had irregular white patches rather than very regular patterns that simply had lots of white. My first, a blue mottled, though did more or less have regular patterning, but rapidly (two years) lost all colour, especially in her tail.

9. miohippus

Sep 23, 2010
    wow thants for the info I knew my choin roo was molted; but i don't know much a bout how genitics work in chicken colors. If the father was sexlinked golden then wouldnt he have had golden feathers too? these chicks are both roos and they are diffrent colors i thought if somethig was sex linked it meant the male or female was always the color in question. your right they do look a little like Birchen i had never seen that color before. i have herd of leaking before but was not sure what it ment exatly; what dose ground color mean?

10. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Chickens have two pigments: eumelanin (black) and pheomelanin (red). A chicken's base determines the primary (body area) patterns for where these two pigments occur . An extended black bird is pretty much solid eumelanin; a birchen base has ground colour on the head, hackle, saddle (on males) and lacing on the breast. Ground colour is pheomelanin (or its lack). There are also wheaten, wildtype and partridge (brown) bases.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by