genisis 1588 water reservoirs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chkinut, Dec 13, 2010.

1. chkinut

chkinut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    for all those that own a 1588......i was wondering if....instead of worrying so much about humidity, i'm wondering if i should just fill up the center reservoir during days 1-18 and fill both reservoirs (the ones it tells you to in the booklet that comes with it) during lockdown. the booklet doesn't even talk about humidity percentages, but simply states, fill up one during days 1-18, fill up 2 during lockdown. has anyone done this and been successful? of course i DO have 2 hygrometers that i would still read every day.

2. dwegg

dwegg Chillin' With My Peeps

yes that is right...i have a genesis going now...i found that the middle reservoir does hold at 50% and then filling one of the side ones as well takes it to 70%...really easy but you have to keep them filled...

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Another tip? The middle one takes one cup of water to fill it from empty. It's hard to see the water levels in that clear tray!
    And when you go to lockdown on day 18, after removing the turner, run some fish tank airline tubing in to the water tray through the opening for the turner cord. That way you can keep the humidity constant without opening the top. I use a needleless syringe to put water in if it needs it.

4. chkinut

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    thanks for the awesome tips!!! i will definately use them! my eggs should be shipping off today! [​IMG] prayers for safety, good hatch rate....and pullets!!

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Oh, you didn't get the one with the "No Roosters" button? [​IMG] I didn't either. [​IMG]

Happy hatching! [​IMG]

6. chkinut

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    hey! wouldn't THAT be nice? poor roosters....i'm sure i would love them too, but they gotta learn to be quiet!! [​IMG]

7. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    Here's another tip: Use food coloring in the water and you'll always see the level of water left. I use blue.

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I wouldn't count on just filling it up to give you the proper humidity levels. I've got three of them and I add about 1/4 cup at the most and that keeps my humidity at about 35% for at least the first week if not longer. It's going to vary with where you live....I'd recommend getting a guage so you know what the level is for sure.

9. chkinut

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    i have 2 gauges....one is a Flukers....which doesn't appear to be too reliable....but who knows.....then i have a regular old-fashioned-looking gauge. i have used 1 cup of water to fill the center reservoir and it's been keeping it at a pretty steady 38-40% according to Flukers....and 49% according to the "regular" hygrometer. the reason i don't totally trust the Flukers, is cuz it's telling me that my temp is 97.8F and the regular thermometer reads 100F. maybe i'm old fashioned, but i lean more towards trusting the simple things in life. i haven't been opening the bator except to add water.....it has no eggs in it yet, they're coming tomorrow. but bator has been set up for a few days. i think that's where i went wrong with my hatches last year, now that i think about it. i had my humidity too low....sometimes in the 20% area. i opened my bator up probably every day or every other day, i candled way too much....i'm leavin' these eggs ALONE as much as possible this time! it was my 1st time hatching last year though, and i guess i couldn't contain myself. [​IMG]

10. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    I have found it easier in mine to use a glass of water rather than filling the reservoirs. The glass holds heat really well and acts as a heat sink. It's also a lot easier to keep an eye on levels. Humidity levels are based on surface area and for me it is easier to control it by changing the size of the glass opening. One glass keeps mine at about 40%. On day 18 I add a second glass. It works great and is super easy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by