1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Genisis incubator water tray problem :(

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by standardbanty, Apr 2, 2009.

1. standardbanty

standardbanty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    Maryland
    i got my genisis today. I will try my first hatch next week. I set the bator up just to figure out all the features and such so i can be prepared. I Haved filled the water tray 4/5 full and the humidity is 70. They say to keep the resivior full all the time but that is just too high. Does anyone have a genesis and how much do you fill the tray up labeled "C". ? I want ot get this right before i put eggs in. Thanks-Joe

2. jnjross

jnjross Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    edwards, ms
    no they don't need to be full , mine runs on about 2ozs of water staying 33-40% .

ps it doesn't matter which section you use, it use a meat injecter with needle to fill the tray with through the vent hole,

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  3. ChickBond 007

ChickBond 007 Licensed to Cull

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    If you don't want to raise the lid to add water, insert a piece of aquarium tubing through the vent hole and run it under the screen/turner down to the "c" trough. I use a little syringe (no needle type) to add 20-30 cc's of water each morning. Keeps the heat consistent.

4. standardbanty

Nov 8, 2008
    Maryland
    So that keeps around what humiditty? I have both of those its just a matter of keeping the humidity constant. Thanks

5. ChickBond 007

ChickBond 007 Licensed to Cull

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    I'm trying to keep at steady 40%.

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I usually take the tops of the peanut butter jars for water since it does get stale if it has too much water in it. I usually put in 1/2 cup every seven days and another 1/2 cup three days prior to their hatching.

7. standardbanty

Nov 8, 2008
    Maryland
    Is part of the reason the humidity is so high because i have no eggs in the bator?

8. MSHEN

MSHEN Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2009
    Monticello,MS
    Actually, Your humidity will differ with your climactic conditions and geographical area. I am a "first time in a long time" newbie that bought a 1588 with the egg turner. I live in the deep south, where it's HUMID. I tried filling the tray according to the instructions that came with the bator and the % went up to 75 and above. Well, I thought that SURE won't work, so I sucked the water out a little at the time, but could not get the humidity down, so I ended up removing all the water, then putting in water in 5-10 cc's at a time, until I finally got it to read 45 to 50%. I ran aquarium tubing into the narrow end of the tray( I cut one piece of wire so the tubing snugged in the opening) I leave the tubing in place. I ran it in the same hole that the electric cord from the egg turner is placed. There's a notched area in the corner where the lid and bottom meet. I leave it in place because I can't see the water tray thru the turner. It's convenient to add or remove water to get my desired humidity level. You can tape a syringe to the tubing or , I use a luer- lock syringe that fits neatly over the end of the tubing and stays in place. I have to add 5-8 cc's warm water every 2 days to keep it where I want it. I have noticed, also, if a thunderstorm is approaching, my levels go up during that period. Some folks control the humidity in the room the bator is in. I don't. Keep in mind when you add or remove water, to let it stabilize for an hour or two so you see what your actions are doing. I'm not a pro at this, but this is what my personal experience has been so far with the 1588 where I live. Sure hope this helps instead of confuse!! [​IMG] I do want to add that i keep the vent open to allow more oxygen. I don't know if that really matters with the 1588 since it circulates air anyway. When you close the extra vent, the humidy rises as you know.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by