Gentleman rooster..............not!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by debs_flock, Oct 2, 2011.

1. debs_flock

debs_flock Overrun With Chickens

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    Maybe he'll mature.

I have a 19 week old australorp cockerel. He is definitely an "it's all about me" kind of guy. When I go out to see the birds and pass out treats, he will literally shoulder the girls out of the way so he gets most, if not all of the handouts. If anyone else manages to get a treat, he will chase them down and snatch it from their beak. Today I picked some blackberries from our patch that were starting to dry out. I walked over to the chickens to pass them out through the fence. Everyone else would put them down to pick at them, he (Dundee) would snatch them up and gobble them down whole so he was ready to grab the next one.

He has never shown any aggression towards me (the treat lady), but he is a big hog!

Maybe it's just because he's already twice the size of any of the girls and a third bigger than our Welsummer cockerel, Cornelius.

It's a good thing he's so beautiful, he is quite the brat! I'll have to take a current picture to post.

Deb

2. jarodw45

jarodw45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Texas
    I have a splash roo that I put in with some BCM hens that have been with my big gentleman BCM roo. He doesn't court whatsoever and the hens hate him!. They were spoiled to the BCM roo who would scratch and find food for his ladies! Funny!

3. Achickenwrangler#1

Achickenwrangler#1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    west virginia
    He is pretty young, my roosters used to do that, but I would push em back with my foot and make sure the hens got at least 2 treats and them only 1, and sometimes none, early conditioning. They are more valuable to me, now one rooster is dominant and is always giving treats and calling for the hens to eat, watching over them as they eat. I will feed the hens from my hand, but not the roosters, I don't think they would take it anyway, they usually just stand and watch...

4. MontanaChickenLady

MontanaChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    Beautiful Montana
    I have a Silkie roo Simon and worry about him a little because my 4 hens (all different breeds) always get more of any treats than he does. He comes, checks things out and then may take a treat, puts it on the ground and invariably one of the hens comes along and snags his stash. I try to push them away but then it alarms him and he moves off on his own. My little guy seems to be thoughtful of his hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by