gentlest breed?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by sydney13, May 17, 2010.

1. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    which of these do you think is more docile and friendly, a easter egger or a barred rock

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Both are, usually. I have both BRs, EEs as well as Ameraucanas. It's more of an individual thing than a breed thing. I would call both friendly, but neither one is a pushover.

3. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    I am on the fence as well. I got a few of each for that reason lol. My first chickens ever were Barred Rocks, and I fell in love with them. This is my first time with EE's but I haven't been dissapointed yet [​IMG] I will always have BR in my yard though, they are just great all around birds, and mine were "LAYING THROUGH THE SNOW" kinda hens, everyday lol.

4. NeeleysAVLChicks

NeeleysAVLChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Leicester, NC
    I'm not going to be of any help to you. I have two of each breed and have one friendly EE and one skiddish EE, one friendly BR and one skiddish BR. I think they both tend to be friendly breeds, but it'll vary between each individual bird.

5. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    if you guys could only get an easter egger or barred rock which would it be

6. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Barred Rock, yep. For me anyhow if I had to choose.

7. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Barred Rock

8. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

I gotta stick with my beloved "chickie-chick", she's a Black Astraulorp. She's a great mom, and funny gardening companion.[​IMG]

9. Zephyr Farms

Zephyr Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Mathews, VA
    barred rock would be the one I choose. Both are sweet, but personally I feel my BR are sweeter.

10. kidcallous

kidcallous Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    Central Florida
    Hey all - I'm new here, but is there another name for Barred Rock?? I can't find it on the "Breeds" Page - looking for pictures/proper name??

Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by