1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

George & Rita going strong!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sakana, Aug 28, 2007.

1. sakana

sakana Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2007
    Seattle
    Well, since getting our first egg on August 21st, George and Rita have taken turns laying, so I've gotten an egg a day every day since then (except for the 25th). George is now averaging 1 3/4 ounces per egg, and Rita's last 4 eggs have each been exactly 1 1/2 ounces each.

Today I actually got two eggs, but the first one was smashed, my husband says it looked like one of the stepped on it, he threw it into the worm bin.

George and Rita are Australorps, can anyone tell me what the average egg size will be as they get older? Also, since I'm posting, does 1 1/2 ounces qualify as a "small" egg on the grading scale? Is an egg every other day pretty much average? I read that Australorps are pretty dependable egg producers.

Last night I made deviled eggs, yum! I used two from our chickens and two from a local producer. The difference between the yolks was incredible. Even my husband marveled at the much deeper color of our chicken's yolks.

Thanks in advance for your replies!

2. Newchickenmom&kids

Newchickenmom&kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Illinois
    I know they tend to lay a Medium size egg...don't know how that works with the weight...hope someone else knows!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by